Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody I have a 2000 Jeep Wrangler with a standard transmission that the 1st gear will pop out occasionally. What could be the problem. Thank you.

·
Registered
33 Posts
You could replace just it, but you have to pull the transmission so you might as well put a new clutch in unless its not very old. You should check the input shaft bearing too, it could also cause you to pop out of gear. Those are the 2 things I know of that could cause your problem, there could be others.

·
Registered
271 Posts
If your in there checking the input shaft bearing take a look at the shift tower if it is a top plate style. Could have wear in the shift rails that allows the shifter to vibrate out of place. Then there is the synchros and then......

·
Registered
688 Posts
Before tearing everything out of there you might check the inner shift boot. They have had a tendency to come out of place or get pinched causing this. Simple fix and at $50 for a brand new one I'd check here first. Some guys that put body lifts on end up notching the inner boot to eliminate any potential of it getting in the way.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Before tearing everything out of there you might check the inner shift boot. They have had a tendency to come out of place or get pinched causing this. Simple fix and at $50 for a brand new one I'd check here first. Some guys that put body lifts on end up notching the inner boot to eliminate any potential of it getting in the way.
Even if my jeep doesn't have a lift could this be the issue?

·
Registered
688 Posts
Yes, there are other threads out there on this forum. One guy had his transmission torn out twice by the dealer. One of those times to replace it. The 3rd time he took it in one of the techs checked the inner shift boot and found that it was damaged. He hasn't had any problems since.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Here's another. This was posted by Flyingliz

So my Jeep (2010 2dr) kicked me out of first violently a couple times and I was a little nervous but figured the extreme cold was at fault...except both the Jeep and I have seen worse cold and this has never been an issue...anywho, problem progressed to popping out of third and fifth as well. Decided it was time to look into it because I ended up in an accident. Google lead me to this thread. After a good read I headed into my dealer to have it looked at. He knew about the first gear problem (had fixed many) and had heard of boot problems but never seen one until I came in. Pulled off the boot and realized the inner boot was floating free and crooked. No longer covered under warranty (75000km on the Jeep) but no charge if I wanted to try to put her back together myself. Seems the last dealer may have caused this problem while checking out a clutch issue for me since the top boot was barely being held on when we pulled it off (2/3 clips broken). Drives like before now with no issues. Just gotta find a way to get the top boot to stay down since I'm cheap and don't want to pay the $50 for a new one. Thinking double sided tape lol. All this to say putting the inner boot back in place seems to have solved the problem and sometimes you will run into someone who knows what they're talking about!

·
Registered
605 Posts
I had the same problem, it was the synchro's, one thing led to another and I ended up needing a new transmission and clutch, probably won't happen to you though. My Jeep has 140k miles on it. Jeep clutches are absolute crap though, so rough, especially 1st and 2nd even when brand new ... Popping out of gear usually means synchro's. 1st and 2nd usually share the same synchro ..

Oh, one more thing, after getting my new tranny I couldn't drive it for a month, the cab was getting so hot, dealership twice couldn't figure it out. Got to talking to a guy at AutoZone, he walked out, peaked under the shifter (you could pry the casing up a bit) and said they didn't put the "boot" back on. Sure enough he was right, the dealerships best mechanics couldn't figure it out and some guy at AutoZone solved in less than 30 seconds.

·
Registered
688 Posts
The inner shift boot issue is pretty common on the JKs. I had it on my 07. Yes synchros are a possibility as well but after doing research when I started having my jeep pop out of first I found that the inner shift boot causes this far more often than synchros not lining up. To the OP do a search on google about Jk inner shift boot. You'll come across plenty of threads about it. Just saying its a cheap place to start.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts