Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I just purchased my first jeep. After a couple of months of research I finally pulled the trigger. I purchased an '02 Sport 4.0 I6 w/114,400 miles. It has the 3.5" rubicon express lift.

I did a lot of research on this website (fantastic information everyone) and the guy selling me the jeep didn't realize it had the dana 44 rear end and 3.73 gears so that was a big bonus.

It needed a new stabilizer and a small oil leak (which it appears is fairly common). My mechanic was able to get it all fixed and now it is in fantastic condition.

Currently it has BFG 33x12.50r15 tires. The tires will need to be replaced before next inter and I am looking and changing the tires. I am not crazy about the tires being that far outside the fender profile. I am considering going to a 10.50 tire. This is my daily driver (less that 15 total miles per day) and my wife and I are big campers (tent of course) and I hunt and fish a ton. That said I was looking for what some of you think are good tires that hit the sweet spot for daily driving (including snow) as well as off road. We don't do extreme 4x4 but certainly find ourselves in mud, loose gravel and sand.

I am also figuring out where I want to mount my 48" Hi-Lift jack and have realized there are many options.

Anyway, just looking for some information from some experienced folks.

Thanks and great to be in the Jeep family.

We just got my wife the 2014 Grand Cherokee 4x4 Diesel and she loves it, also her 1st Jeep. We are now a 100% jeep family.

Cheers,

·
Registered
50 Posts
Check out the build forum or the pics. There are tons of jeeps with that tire size you are looking for . That way you can get a visual and in the case of tire brand check the same forum . Have fun

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I am been doing a lot of research and think I have come up with a solution that will work. I am looking to go to the following:

16x8 steel wheel
Goodyear Duratrac 285/70r16

Has anyone run this combo and what are your thoughts?

Thanks,

·
Registered
105 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I am been doing a lot of research and think I have come up with a solution that will work. I am looking to go to the following:

16x8 steel wheel
Goodyear Duratrac 285/70r16

Has anyone run this combo and what are your thoughts?

Thanks,
Ok so ive had the 31X10.5 BFG At/and the 31X10.5 Dura tracs on my old tj. And currently I have the 33X12.5 BFG MT on my newer TJ. After goin through mud/snow and sand in those tires in both Tj's....I will say this. BFG AT's sucked in mud and awesome in sand ...mediocre in snow. Dura-tracs were Good all the way around. Now for the BFG MT's 33x12.5....Beastly in Mud, Pretty good in sand and good in snow. Those MT's are like an insurance policy for when things get sticky. Side note im running the same lift as you and love the stance with the 33x12.5.Is yours Auto? Now of course those are all just my opinions.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mine is a manual transmission.

Yeah I do understand there are bigger fenders for the current combo I have but I really prefer the slimmer look for my everyday driver.

I don't really get into any hard core mud or rocks more gravel, washboard, sand and moderate mud. I carry a power tank in my truck and when needed and I can drop the air pressure if it calls for it and that really has worked well in the past.

I really fell in love with the power tank in Arizona and have carried it with me ever since. Deflating the tires really makes a big difference from what I have seen previously with my truck and land rover.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
An all terrain sounds perfect for you. I always recommend General Grabber AT2's. Last forever and clean out very decent for an all terrain.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Congratulations on your Jeep!!

How do you like how it drives with the 33's and your 3.73 gearing? I just bought an 02 last month, but it has the stock 3.07's in it with the 5speed. I'm doing my lift this week, and want to go up to 33's but I'm not sure at all which way I'm going to handle re gearing just yet. Used craigslist axles, with that gearing or 4.10's, or upgrade to a better rear axle then re-gear the front. I just know I don't want to spend any money on my existing D35.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Congratulations on your Jeep!!

How do you like how it drives with the 33's and your 3.73 gearing? I just bought an 02 last month, but it has the stock 3.07's in it with the 5speed. I'm doing my lift this week, and want to go up to 33's but I'm not sure at all which way I'm going to handle re gearing just yet. Used craigslist axles, with that gearing or 4.10's, or upgrade to a better rear axle then re-gear the front. I just know I don't want to spend any money on my existing D35.
The 3.73 are fine imo. I have had several other 4x4 vehicles (trucks and land rover). However, if I had 3.07 and were going to redo the gears I would for sure go to Dana44 and at least 4.10 gears. If you are going to try and run any bigger than 33's I would go to 4.56 personally. I think 33's and 4.10's are the sweet spot of both on and off road performance.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I would say stay with the 15" wheels. More tire options available.
I hear ya, but it looks like most of the AT's I have an interest in come in this size wheel and tire size and I don't see me making any major tire changes once I find one that really works.

·
Registered
207 Posts
The 3.73 are fine imo. I have had several other 4x4 vehicles (trucks and land rover). However, if I had 3.07 and were going to redo the gears I would for sure go to Dana44 and at least 4.10 gears. If you are going to try and run any bigger than 33's I would go to 4.56 personally. I think 33's and 4.10's are the sweet spot of both on and off road performance.
Thanks!! I think I'm just going to pick up an 8.8 with 4.10's and start with that. Dana 44's around here, or anywhere really, are ridiculously priced..if you can find one. I've been pricing everything and think I can get the 8.8, and have it built for bolt in for a little more than half of what a 44 would cost me.

I'm probably going to be 90% on road with the jeep so 4.10's sounds like it will work for what I need it for. I don't see myself going larger than 33's

Thanks again!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts