Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! :wavey:
I'm, should I say converting from a Metro to Jeep guy.....lol:dance:
Should really say I,m gonna be a half breed, 50/50 Metro/ Jeep:D
I have to say a lot of Awesome peeps on the Metro Fourms. So I cant leave'em just yet.

I know nothing about Jeeps, in the back of my 48 year old mind & have always yearned for a JEEP:D. Funny how things happen in life, kinda wierd.......
I just had a 1995 YJ Rio Grand Edition 128000 miles fall into my posession:eek:

I'll have a lots of projects ahead of me on this Jeep & very very little time. I hate working full time, such a waste of my time:facepalm: I think it will be worth it cause this Jeep looks fun!:thumb:

So here goes....... 1st project, 4 WD: The previous owner put on 75k miles and rarely used the 4WD, and never used the 4WD low.

1) Will some one please post a link for me how to use the 4WD& how it should work, (how the shift should feel when shifting to how the Jeep feels when in 4WD). I know really dumb Q:facepalm:

2) I can barely get the 4WD shift to move, like its rusted tight. I have been able to move the shift up / down about a 1/2". The 4WD light does come on, but I have no idea if the 4WD is actually working. Then its very hard to get it out of 4WD, I have to push the shift up with my foot & sometimes activate the clutch in 1st before the light goes out.

Thanks much
looking forward to the Jeep thing
:dance:
John

·
Registered
192 Posts
get on some gravel, put it in neutral, put it in either 4hi/4lo, go in reverse for about 2 or 3 feet then go forward and when you turn if it binds up or even jumps in 4 lo its working properly, then to take it out neutral, switch it out, reverse 3 or 4 feet, then go forward and turn youl fill the big difference from being in 4 or in 2

·
Registered
879 Posts
1. there's a metro forum???
2. press the clutch everytime to engage or disengage 4wd
3. the light is controlled by the vacuum switch on the transfer case
4. you can shift into 4hi at any legal speed, 4lo needs 2-3 mph max
5. have you checked the linkage to see if it is rusted solid?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes there is a Metro Fourm lol, very good people on it.
The linkage is very rusty, so I spayed it down good with PB Blaster.
The shifter seemed to move much more freely now. Just didnt have time to drive it yet & play around with it.
Still having trouble getting the light to go out after shifting out of 4WD.
So I can shift into 4WD going 55mph with the clutch?

·
Registered
126 Posts
4wd high should be fine but NOT 4WD LOW!!! :nonono:

ONLY engage 4WD LOW with the clutch in and NO MORE than 2 - 3 MPH or the world will cease to exist as you know it. :angel:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts