Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! First post here, first time wrangler owner.
2nd jeep :)
Its a 00' sahara, 4.0/5speed NP transcase, Dana 30/35, 2" lift
110k miles on it, came with a soft and hard top. Traded off my old Cherokee and another car I had for it. Anyway..
Drove it home, it had a vibration, just put my 33/12.50-15's on today that were on my Cherokee.
Pulled over to check all u joints and bearings, everything felt tight, and the vib got worse along with the noise. I was only a couple miles from home, I'm pretty mechanically inclined and do all my own repairs no matter how big or small. Suspecting something gone wrong in the rear diff I limped it home off and on in 4hi. (Not while turning ect) got home, rechecked, now you can grab the rear shaft and move the pinion alllllll over. Looks like a failed bearing.
So anyway, gonna pull the pan tomm and see how bad it is, these 35's fairly easy to rebuild?
Also, I had planned a regear down the road for my 33's, but I suspect it has already been done. At 60mph, in 5th (b4 it got bad of course) the rpm's are at 2k, pulls fine just like my Cherokee did when stock, also I checked the speedo with my gps, and it is dead on also.
So I'm thinking it has been regeared, and also has the correct gear in for the speedo with 33's as well. Would have all been Done by the owner previous to the one I got it from.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advanced. And love the forum!!

Isaac

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
Mine same year axels 5 speed owned since new came with 3.73. Does around 1900 at 60 on 31's which lacks power on hills on highway. 4.0. You got bigger tires and higher rpm. Defiantly regeared.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
d35

Thanks Majnoon.

Anyone have any ideas on the pinion?
Went from tight to flopping around in 7miles.
Do these bearings fall apart that qwick?
Pulling the cover tonight, crossing my fingers the gears are ok, but probably getting my hopes up for nothing.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
pulled it all apart today.

Well pulled it all apart today.
The inner pinion bearing was blown. All the rollers were laying in the bottum of the housing.
Looks like I got lucky, because the gears all look good, no missing or messed up teeth or anything.
Been reading up on this, it's my first time messing with a diff.
Rebuild kit is on the way, all I have left to do is pound out the pinion bearing races and she'll be ready for new parts.
Marked everything on disassembly, planning to replace both pinion bearings, seal, nut, crush sleeve and reinstall all the shims where they came from set pinion preload then check the pattern. If all looks good I'm gonna run it! :)
Not goin all out on this one, its not my daily driver, and I plan to upgrade down the road anyway maybe to a d44.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts