Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just installed my new rack and so far I'm digging it. It fit great in my 2" hitch and feels very well built.

The bike in the below pictures is actually close to 53" of wheelbase. Their sites says it will fit up to 52" but I emailed them and was told mine should fit. It does!

I'll try to update after driving with bikes on there, but if the stellar reviews are true I should love it.

Some pics:

Attachments

·
Registered
498 Posts
Looks great. Yours holds 2 bikes, I'm going to check to see if they make one that holds 4.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Phishe, mines expandable up to four. They make another one that fits 1 1/4" receivers that can hold up to three.

Cost was $609 for this style in black anodized aluminum. Some might balk at that but I wanted good, American made quality, and this fits the bill.

Also, reading the reviews on mtbr.com convinced me that this is worth the price.

Oh, and free UPS shipping to the lower 48. Can't beat that!

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
$600? Crikey! Im thinking about mounting some Thule or Yakima type rails to a rear hitch carrier. This is one of the times I miss my pick up with bed rails :( I had two $20 fork mount clamps bolted to the accessory rail in the bed. Stupid Jeep
:hide:

·
Registered
117 Posts
I have two friends who use this rack (1 on a JKUR, 1 on a BMW 3-series) and they both love it.

I am envious when we get off the trail and they just drop their bike on the rack and go while I am still removing my front wheel to mount the bike on my roof rack.

No doubt it is expensive, but the quality is top notch!

My current DD does not support a hitch, but when the JKUR arrives in several weeks this will be on my list for sure!

·
Registered
49 Posts
The Kuat NV rack is another great rack. Expensive, but solid. Carrying some expensive carbon road bikes, so well worth it from my perspective.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
I have owned the Kuat NV, Sportworks T2, Thule T2, Saris Cycle On Pro, and several others that were not the tray-style but the hang-by-toptube. The 1UPUSA rack is a a league above and the only one (I know of) that is made in the US and has the 1-bike capability. I recently bought one and love it. Of the others I used, the Sportworks T2 (Thule bought the design and changed a few minor things) was the most solid and I never had a problem. I got the silver 1UP since they told me the black scratched up fast. Your black looks better though.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Your bike has no motor…

I have several high end road bikes (Parlee, Scott, Trek) and use a Thule T2. I've got a couple of good mtn. bikes, and just purchased a bike mount for the Front Runner roof rack I just installed on my JKR.

Kuats are nice.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Had this rack for 8 or so years now (could be 10..) ...3 bikes. The newer "heavy duty" model can do 4.

Bombproof. USA machinist made. The best of the best. Period.

Expensive as heck. Worth every penny if you are into biking, have a bike worth a little bit....

I am a USCF licensed racer since in the "midget" category and it does fine with my tt zipp disk bike....etc. Only the tires touch things. Brilliant design IMHO. Some lube and such and voila...perfect function almost 10 years later. You want a super rack..this is the ticket. I have nothing to do with this company save went though roof, trunk, other racks..thule, Yakima....this is way better than any of those. I prefer it to custom racks I was using in Euro on a team van...it is just amazing. So fast. So simple. So secure. It is one of those things you can actually buy as a mere mortal that is "the best"...Patek Phillipe of racks.

(it nevder comes off...)

jeff

·
Registered
40 Posts
Great rack. Mine holds 2 Bikes. I have the Mopar hitch and have to use a hitch extender if I want to have room for two bikes and not have any issue with the spare tire.

If I am only going to carry one bike, I do not need the extender and just use the outermost rack.

I bought the hitch extender modified by 1upUSA as it locks in with the same mechanism as the rack.

It is great to quickly unmount a bike and ride away without replacing a wheel, etc.

The only issue with a rack that holds a bike only by the tires that I can see ( but have not experienced) would be the very rare time when the bike tire is flat and can't be fixed in the field. I am not sure how well the rack would hold a bike with a flat tire. I suspect if all the air was out, the holding arms could be pushed it tight enough to hold.

A rack that mounts a bike via the bike frame won't have this issue but I really did not want that type (many different frames/frame materials). Again, this is theoretical as I have not had this happen.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Couple of options- either cut and fold an inner tube to put between the rim and arm or keep a piece or two of firm rubber/foam pieces around.

·
Registered
250 Posts
If I am only going to carry one bike, I do not need the extender and just use the outermost rack.
Ahh, brilliant! I'm trying to decide on whether to get the double mount or not - I like that it is a "native" 2" hitch design. Can you still fold the rack up (when you aren't carrying a bike) without the extender being used?

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
I use an extender from 1UP on my JKUR. I have a spare 35" MTR tire resting on a Teraflex spare tire carrier. I have room to move it upwards but I can open the door and lift the windows up without interference. I would not be able to fold the rack up without the extender.

I also have a Kuat NV 2.0 on my 4Runner and both are easy enough to use. I prefer the 1UP overall, though the Kuat is easier for my wife to raise lower. However, my 1UP does not have the newer and easier-to-use system to raise/lower the rack. The 1UP sits closer, can be configured to carry just one bike, folds up to a compact size, is lighter, and feels more secure. Unless you really crank down the arm on the Kuat, it can loosen up and does, so I have to be careful each time I load the bike(s) up.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts