Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I decided to spend a bit of time at an out of town Thompson submachine gun show and shoot this weekend. Yeah, that part was cool.

We have two 2-dr rubicons, identical other than one having a 2.0l and the other a 3.6. Both have factory tires,4.10's, auto.
I thought it might be interesting to see which got better mileage. Filled up both before and after, took same route and similar driving style.

3.6:
Alarm clock Clock Font Material property Technology

2.0:
Automotive lighting Vehicle registration plate Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Automotive design

Largely freeway driving, 70-75mph.

I have a 5500 mile trip coming up, I figured I'd take the one with the batter range per tank.
Which motor provided that?

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
So which is which?
Based on the name of the pics (look at the bottom of each) I’m guessing that the 3.6 actually got better mileage.

Curious what the Jeep indicated you MPG’s were for each.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The 3.6 did better. That said, it does have 7500 on the odo, whereas the 2.0 has only 750 miles on it.
Indicated mileage on the 2.0 was spot on, 19.0mpg for the trip which was 198 miles.

Having driven the 2.0l in the unlimited with better results, perhaps the motor isn't yet broken in. Also, it's one trip and a small sample, but not what I expected.

·
Registered
371 Posts
So what was the mileage on the 3.6? My 2021 JLUS is getting better mileage as it gets a few more miles on the odometer... I'm getting in the high 21's now.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Not what I would have expected either. I’ve got just over 3K on my 2dr Rubi with the 2.0 and auto. I’ve averaged 23.3 MPG since it was new with mixed driving.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Not what I would have expected either. I’ve got just over 3K on my 2dr Rubi with the 2.0 and auto. I’ve averaged 23.3 MPG since it was new with mixed driving.

When I ordered my new Sahara I just couldn't bring myself to order the 2.0L with the turbo. I'm a bit old school and was concerned with the 2.0L being somewhat new that it might end of being a "boat anchor" motor. Me I need to wait a few years and see how that motor preforms and holds up out in the real world.

Anyone remember the Chevy Vega's with the Wankel engine, or the Quad four in Pontiac Grand Am's? Crappy motors and nothing but problems.. I didn't want to spend 50K on a new Wrangler and have a crappy motor in it and end up taking a major hit on trading it in.

·
Registered
92 Posts
My new (2000 miles) 2.0 JLU Rubicon is making sounds that I have never heard before, but it runs great. Knocking sound until it warms up is a bit concerning, but otherwise so far so good. I just made a 1750 mile road trip, mostly interstate driving at 70-75 mph and averaged a little over 21 mpg on 93 octane. Can't complain about a Wrangler with the aerodynamics of a refrigerator getting that.

·
Registered
371 Posts
My new (2000 miles) 2.0 JLU Rubicon is making sounds that I have never heard before, but it runs great. Knocking sound until it warms up is a bit concerning, but otherwise so far so good. I just made a 1750 mile road trip, mostly interstate driving at 70-75 mph and averaged a little over 21 mpg on 93 octane. Can't complain about a Wrangler with the aerodynamics of a refrigerator getting that.
Sounds, oooh, let's just say that's interesting.

And that's a refrigerator with wheels, big ole wheels....lol 🤣

·
Super Moderator
7,879 Posts
Interesting. If I had to guess I would have picked the 3.6L would do better than the 2.0L turbo.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Interesting. If I had to guess I would have picked the 3.6L would do better than the 2.0L turbo.
I can't say for anyone else but I've noticed if I can keep mine it in 8th gear the mpg's go way up... Problem is the transmition wants to drop back down into 7th gear, then the mpg's start to suffer... I need to be about 58-59 mph.

·
Premium Member
8,945 Posts
One other thing to consider - unless OP's 3.6 Rubi was an early production before then change, if it has an auto it also has the eTorque system as well. Would be interesting for him to give a seat of the pants preference on the highway, not just the mileage.

Having twins (sort of) does make for interesting comparison.

My two cents on the break in on my '17 Chief. Not the same driving locations, not sure about city (not often) vs highway (mostly since I live in the country).
First three tanks - 23 to 759 miles on the odometer (736 total) 17.52 MG
Last three tanks - 30,180 to 30,902 miles on the odometer (722 total) 19.51

As a retired accountant, I have long kept detailed mileage and mpg records on my vehicles going back over 40 years. Some of the early ones were manually kept in a notebook (long gone) but for the last several decades they are in spreadsheets on my computer.

One other change - the first 750 miles were on original 255/75R17 KMs, the last 750 were on 285/70R17 KO2s. One step up in tires, but the impact on mileage was insignificant.

Not surprisingly, speed and direction (into wind/with wind) has a significant difference. Not included in the above is the indicated mileage I encountered Saturday on a Doberman Rescue run (I transport rescued Dobes). Heading south (filled up before leaving Georgia) into Florida for the pickup my Chief was indicating 22 mpg, heading back north to the meet with the next leg in Tifton, Ga the indicated was dropping like a rock. Heading south, I was running early, so I was traveling at about 61 and heading north I was running late (prior leg was a bit late) so I was pushing 75 (and getting passed on I-75) so that by the time I arrived at the meet the indicated average was down to 19.2. Heading back south to the house, again I was cruising a little over 60 and the average got back up to 19.5 (only a 30 mile run).

I do tend to loaf in the right lane at about 60 if not in a hurry. Has a big impact considering our Jeeps have the aerodynamics of a brick.

Reactions: skoro

·
Super Moderator
7,879 Posts
I can't say for anyone else but I've noticed if I can keep mine it in 8th gear the mpg's go way up... Problem is the transmition wants to drop back down into 7th gear, then the mpg's start to suffer... I need to be about 58-59 mph.
I own a JK with the NAG 1. I have driven my fair share of vehicles with the 8 speed ZF transmission and imo it's great. My only beef is servicing it is a bit harder than the NAG1 and it costs more. Here's the rub for me when it comes to more gears: In order for it to stay in high gear you need torque. The 2.0L and 3.6L need to spin fast to make torque, so the transmission is going to be downshifting, sometimes a lot. OTOH a diesel which makes a lot of torque at lower rpms is going to do less downshifting, as is the hemi.

I like the NAG 1 because with the 4.10 gearing I have it does very little downshifting. Granted it doesn't offer the low end torque the ZF does, or the fuel economy. Truth be told though with the current prices and the chip shortage driving prices higher and higher, I'll be keeping mine longer than I thought. ;)

I hope this doesn't start a flame war that's not my intent.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Interesting, I have a Willy's Diesel and am averaging 28.2 MPG, didn't expect the 2.0 and 3.6 to be almost 10 mpg worse.

·
Registered
43 Posts
3700 miles on my 2021 JL with the 2.0T and average mpg so far is about 25 mpg, which keeps me happy. I do tend to feather foot it, though. Also, I feed it nothing but top tier gas, 91 octane. Don't know if that makes much of a difference, but I see it as preventive medicine.

·
Super Moderator
2,808 Posts
Must’ve been in boost a lot of the drive .

·
Registered
793 Posts
Hah, yeah it sounds like a diesel when warming up. It's supposedly modeled after the diesel engine. To me, mine sounds like valve chatter. When it is warmed up it idles so smooth you would think it's not running.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts