Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am very interested in getting a 2.0 in Phoenix where it is an oven half the year. People go through car batteries every 2-4 years down there and I am worried about the aux battery needing replacement at a similar interval.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I was looking under the hood and saw my battery wrapped in a insulation material to keep it from getting to hot so I should good for 4 -6 years

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
I am sure it's easy and cheap to replace. The added MPG from it will surely cover the cost,,, sure.

Reactions: Wrangleur

·
Registered
133 Posts
Heat alone is not what kills batteries in our hot desert climate. Its the combination of extreme heat and high amperage draw then the charging cycle that shortens a battery's life. Having the aux battery will lessen the amperage load of both batteries which in in turn should lengthen the life of both batteries. I always turn off ESS so I forecast that I will get close to the advertised battery life. Budget for 2.5 years of life and anything more is a gift.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Hybrid batteries are designed for 8 years / 100k miles life.
There are many hybrids running around with over 150k mile on the original battery.
They average $3k to replace, installed. Your mileage may vary.

I'm way more concerned about some idiot crossing the yellow while on snapchat than I am about my battery.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I don’t worry about the hybrid battery on mine. I had a 1st gen Highlander Hybrid back when everyone, including the manufacturer, said hybrid batteries were good for 100k miles. When I traded that one in at 150k, the battery pack was still doing great. As a general rule of thumb, battery life will depend primarily on the number of charge/discharge cycles. Because the Jeep isn’t using the battery pack to power the vehicle completely the way most hybrids do, it shouldn’t see as many cycles per miles driven as typical hybrids.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts