Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Although, 2.0T engine recommended oil is API SN PLUS, I noticed with Mobil1 5w-30 SN PLUS (no explicit FCA MS-13340 certification) occasional pronounced knocking during cold starts during midday on very hot days only. It disappears after engine gets worm in about 60 secs. It is mildly similar to U75 recall symptoms when they put 0w20 (reportedly) at the factory.

I doubt it was low speed pre ignition (LSPI) related as engine is cold, but there is another factor: "Variable Valve Timing engines (VVT) require specific viscosity to work as designed and oil dilution can be a problem for engines with VVT.". Possibly, Mobil1 5w-30 is too thin oil at those temp range ~ 94F and it is causing VVT to make noise after cold start.

I never experienced it on factory filled oil during first 5K (drove only last ~1K), only after original factory oil change at 5K. Just to be safe, I changed Mobil1 after 500 miles with Pennzoil Platinum 5w-30 API SP( includes SN PLUS and FCA MS-13340 certification) and no knocking after the change. Perhaps, Mobil1 somehow put 0w-30 in 5w-30 labeled containers and sent it to retail.

This is first time I experienced car that is so sensitive to what oil brand is used. I was planning to use Amsoil OE 5W-30 that has API SN PLUS, no explicit FCA MS-13340 certification. Now, I am not sure about it. Anyone used Amsoil in 2.0T? What is your experience with it?

Here is U75 description:
WHY DOES MY VEHICLE NEED REPAIRS?

The factory fill engine oil on your vehicle does not adhere to API specifications which are
designed to suppress high levels of engine knock. High levels of engine knock may potentially
lead to engine damage. This notification is to communicate the new specification, API SN
PLUS, and require the replacement of the factory fill oil with the new specification.

·
Super Moderator
23,138 Posts
being you are having issues I would only use oil that meets the ms-13340 cert.

·
Registered
550 Posts
A lot of people, including me, have noticed that engine sounds noticeably better after switching to AMS Oil. Even their 5W-20 made my 3.6 sound noticeably better. I use a 50/50 mixture of their Signature and Dominator products.

They formulate to prevent LSPI, so it should be a good choice for the 2.0.

My personal feeling is that most parts of the country are warm enough to use a full synthetic 10W-30 in most engines, but I haven't read much about the 2.0 LSPI issue.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks for replies! I video taped cold start @84F with Pennzoil on my IPhone 11 (very good mic) mounted on tripod with hood open. It came out great, I can discern clearly different phases and sounds engine makes after cold start. The sound I was referring to appears a few seconds after start and only lasts a few seconds and not loud at all with Pennzoil. I can barely hear it, but it is there thanks to recording and hood open. With hood closed it would be imperceptible. With Mobil1 it was loud and lasted for over 60 secs even after backing up from driveway and driving away, I only caught it twice doing it at cold start at very hot temp during hottest days (last week was very hot in PA). Otherwise, it was all good and quiet with Mobil1. Next time my oil is due to change @10K I will replace it with Amsoil and make same recording. Will put those on youtube if I'll find anything interesting.

Just completed 270 miles round trip with 25.3mpg average on premium 93 gas. Same trip on Mobil1 on regular was 21.4mpg a week ago. So no issues with engine or car and efficiency is great.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Yep, synthetic has real anti-wear science to commend it. Dang, 3.9mpg difference between premium vs regular?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Recorded another cold start with similar condition (88F) to first recording and that sound is gone completely. So after ~ 300 miles (recent trip) this sound is no longer present. My theory: this noise was made by valve train and now that Pennzoil replaced Mobil1 in all the hydraulic parts - the noise is gone. I also used Wix 57060XP filter with Mobil1 and when switched to Pennzoil I also switched filter to OEM Mopar filter (MO-339). As it took some time > 10 miles I drove initially to return old oil before I took first video next day and it still had some remnants of the noise, I do not think it was filter contributing to the noise issue.

·
RETIRED MODERATOR
55,014 Posts
Wise call, going with Pennzoil. The independent lab tests that I have seen, all have shown Amsoil and Pennzoil Ultra Platinum, as the top two performers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts