Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it sad that i am tossing around the thought of 2 1/2 ton axles or dana 60's..

for the price the 2 1/2s look to be cheaper to set up and maintain than 60's.(they know how to realy take advantage of a jeep owner when he has an idea)..sad that the dana 44 is so exploited by the seller when a guy just needs his rig back on the road.
i only want to buy one set and wheel the crap out of them and use it to make the 6 mile ride to work..lol..not asking much..rite?.
ok..i have read till my brain hurts..
any one who knows (and we have a lot of good brains on here) some good posts about setting up either , please help and post me some links..doing the work is not the problem..its finding all the little stuff that can kill a build because it was over looked during the planning faze.

i am the guy who drives his rig to the trail and wheels all day then drives it back at 3am so i can get to work the next day..it use to be called hardcore..now i think its called crazy..haha
hit me with your op..ideas..sugestions..or just laugh..i can take it..

i have never done any 2 1/2 tons..so im kinda wondering can they be rode hard rite out of the box?..(fresh from the duce) or do they have to be regeard..they come with 5:37 ? or some crazy low gear..

...lets have it...

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
What in the hell are you planning on running that you'd need a 2.5 ton axle? 54's? Haha

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
Unless you're turning bigger than 40" tires AND use the skinny pedal as an on-off switch, you will not break a D60.

·
Registered
8,952 Posts
2.5 ton Rockwells are geared at 6.71:1. The gear selection is all aftermarket, very limited and very expensive. You'd need 46"+ tires to turn a reasonable RPM on the highway with a 5-speed manual. Not to mention you're looking at ~830lbs for the front axle and ~660lbs for the rear....

If you were building a strictly rock crawling or mud bog buggy with big tires and high powered V8 about 15-20 years ago, then the Rockwells would be the reasonable choice.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
haha..i just found a site talking about the gearing..it would stop all hyway travel without an obscene over drive..but they can take what ever you point your rig at..it would work a small block just a bit..

..maybe its just that they are so sexxy..not sure

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
lol..dana 50 useless or the other useless dana 50..all i need to know there..thats why they are a dime a dozen..

ok..honest..how strong is the 8.8?..
i know the 60 is a beast.strength and weight wize.what it wont go over it will go thru..
but im not familiar with the 8.8..other than what ive read here.
i know working for years in local repair shops they dont require much work..fluids and go..the exploder will rust off of it before it needs any major work..
but in a wheel hop..how strong are they..
and on 35's or 37's..how much can the 30 up front take..locked..

i know yall have coverd alot of this before..but now you have had time to beet on them in trails and rocks..and im new here..just wanting some ones hind site..is there any regrets with the 8.8..would you have done a 60 instead..

·
Registered
8,952 Posts
ok..honest..how strong is the 8.8?..
i know the 60 is a beast.strength and weight wize.what it wont go over it will go thru..
but im not familiar with the 8.8..other than what ive read here.
i know working for years in local repair shops they dont require much work..fluids and go..the exploder will rust off of it before it needs any major work..
but in a wheel hop..how strong are they..
and on 35's or 37's..how much can the 30 up front take..locked..
8.8 is a strong c-clip axle.

8.8 is 31-spline and available with disc brakes.
Most D60's are 30-spline with drum brakes.

If I was going to choose an 8.8, I'd get a late model Exploder axle and install a Super 88 kit and truss/beefy stock type brackets. 5x4.5 or 5x5.5 and very close to stock width.

If I was going to choose a rear D60, it would be an 99-04 E350 D60 with 32-spline shafts and disc brakes. 8x6.5. Full width.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
C clips..(shiver)..well my 35 is leaking bad and vibrates under red light launches..so its about to nuke its self..i can find the 8.8 for around 250..and the 60 is at 500 if i go get it..i may try to baby the 35 till i can get the other 250..both 8.8 and 60 will need brackets..but the 60 will need surgery to fit the fenders..heck i got all the little stuff laying around..brake lines , fittings and such..i may have enough 1/4 inch metal to even make the brackets..

thank you for the info..i will keep looking and hope to find that 350 sitting in the field a guy just wants to get out of his yard..lol..i can hope.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ok..one second..the super 88 kit kills the need for the C clips?..and makes it 35 percent stronger?..
did i read that rite?..8.8 may be a new project..and not bad at $530..

·
Rock-Rubber
16,971 Posts
8.8 with the super 8.8 kit puts it right at stock width and close the strength of a d60, especially if you run a truss. Good for 37s easy, could definitely run slightly bigger tires as well if you are smart with the skinny pedal.

front 30 isn't really any good past 35s long term. ball joints, shaft u joints, tubes, gears.... pretty much the whole thing has a tendency to go it just depends what part at that point. Upgrading shafts and beefing it up just puts the strain somewhere else, and like I said, long term it's no good on over 35s.

If you want us to help you decide on axles, tell us what size tire you want to run. If you want a 60/14b rear there is gona have to be a lot of modification done to fit that big of an axle in a TJ. You're front options could be anything from a beefed up d44 or jk44 up to a torq 14 front housing ($$$$)

remember the 8.8 is stock with and the d60 is full width.

Yes the clip eliminator super 88 kit puts you basically at d60 strength, no c clips, and exactly out at stock width.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
thank you imped..i went there and got good insite on the 60..
i know the 2.5tons are trailor queens and not an option (i figured by now some one would have made gear options for them but not yet)..i will keep my ears open for 60's..

but i had no idea about the super 88..that makes the 8.8 look like a way better option for the jeep..not axle cutting..always a good thing..

i will try to hide my noobie in the future when asking questions..lol..
always willing to listen to the guy who has already seen and done that..learn from his broken parts pile and his research..thank you all for the time..

·
Rock-Rubber
16,971 Posts
Problem with the 8.8 is you are then stuck with a stock width front axle and that's probably what's going to limit your tire size, not the rear axle. aka the d30 or d44 760 u joint. Only real option would be something like a built waggy 44 with rcv shafts to run 37s. You can always go through the headache of narrowing a d60 but that's a lot of money time and work. If you are in a state where tire coverage etc is no issue, I'd stick with tons and do a 14b rear and 60 front.

·
Registered
14,065 Posts
Nothing wrong with running Rockwells. Go big brother. Call Red River Equipment 940.592.9400. He will take care of you.

Imped is correct though, this is the wrong forum. I've only seen one Rockwell build thread on WF. :)

·
Rock-Rubber
16,971 Posts
Nothing wrong with running Rockwells. Go big brother. Call Red River Equipment 940.592.9400. He will take care of you.

Imped is correct though, this is the wrong forum. I've only seen one Rockwell build thread on WF. :)
I wonder whose that was ;)

1 - 20 of 40 Posts