Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello im a new member on here however I had browsed the forums a lot over the years. I have a problem diagnosing a problem I was hoping to get some help with. I have a 2006 jeep TJ 2.4 manual with about 113000 miles. I have occasionally had rough idles and long starts in the early mornings here lately. Yesterday my check engine light came on and if I went over 2000 rpm the engine would begin to cut out or stumble. I got the jeep back home took it out a little later, she ran fine but still had code ran by the parts store and got code P0016 and P0344 for camshaft position sensor. On my way back home the check engine light went off and the jeep runs perfect. Do the 2.4l engines have problems with the OPDA like the 4.0l engines do? Would you recommend a new camshaft sensor or do I potentially have something bigger going on? Thank you all for your help and God Bless

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
The 2.4 does not have an OPDA. The oil pump is on the front of the engine & not driven from either cam. The cam sensor is on the head behind the exhaust cam. The gap is adjustable & the P0344 is known to appear if the air gap between the sensor & the cam sprocket get out of spec. The P0016 is a sync error meaning the cam is out of time with the crankshaft which is not likely on your engine unless the cam(s) jumped time. If that happens the engine would not later start running perfectly as you describe. I would be sure the sensor gap is in spec, reset the codes & see if either or both return. If the P0016 returns you may have to verify the cams are in time with the crank by checking the cam marks when on TDC.

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
I should add that one of the symptoms of the P0344 code seems to be it will throw the code (and go into limp mode, limiting the RPMs) when starting cold. After warm up shutting down & restarting it will eliminate the code & limp mode until it is off long enough to cool down enough, then the process repeats itself. If this is what is happening you probably have either a bad sensor or the air gap is not properly set.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all, is there any forum or article that shows how to check the air gap or tolerances?If I buy a new camshaft sensor will it be pre set? And anyway to tell if its a crank or camshaft sensor if it is a sensor problem? Thank You all

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
Here is a link with info & photos on setting the gap from the FSM. It is also a 2.4 with P0344 code. He has not reported a fix yet but had trouble getting an accurate adjustment if you read through it. It definitely may be more than a sensor adjustment but start there.

Also note my comments on replacement sensor issues.

Those codes are cam sensor codes so doubt the crank sensor is the problem. Most crank sensor failures result in no start issues.

My 2005 TJ P0344 Woes - JeepForum.com

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update! Jeep for now is fixed! The old sensor appears to have the face of the magnet broke in half?!, anyone experienced similar?

·
Registered
763 Posts
I replaced my timing belt when i had the water pump, and injectors redone. At about 90,000 miles it is probably going to be an issue soon anyway. I too have an 06 2.4, and also found a problem with my coil, that was giving me a po303 error, misfire on #3 cylinder. While I had the airbox out, and was replaceing all plugs, and all plug wires, I found that the coil had been loosing insulation in the windings, so a new coil from Rock Auto, and SHAZAAAM !! like a NEW Jeep!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts