Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

2.5" budget boost

8K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  Hip2u77 
#1 ·
Anybody running the teraflex 2.5" budget boost? Wondering if you had to do any other mods to your jeep for this lift to work(control arms, track bars, ect.)?

#3 ·
It's a "budget" boost, control arms and track bars would be great to have, but come at a price. I'm thinking of a Rancho 4" lift with arms for around 1,000-1,200.

I do not run the TeraFlex, but they make some of the best products available, and you should not have any issues for road and lite to moderate wheeling.

You're really going to like to ride and look of your rig with the lift.

#4 ·
Yea I was looking at an actual suspension lift but with the budget boost I can save more money to use with other mods. I just wanted to make sure I didn't need anything else with the budget boost, makin sure I do it right an have everything I need the first time

#7 ·
I just recommended this lift to my dad and they had it installed a few weeks ago. As for the install cost I can't help much. A friend of his owns a shop and he charged him $250 including alignment. I was very surprised at how well it handled on the stock springs and shocks. I would recommend it to anyone who wants their Jeep in the air but doesn't plan to wheel it much.

#9 ·
I added both front and rear Rugged Ridge XHD bumpers and I lost some of the height I got from the TF BB. I would say I lost more in the front than rear and I would guess it to be about an inch.
If I was doing it again, I would either get the RR XHD Aluminium bumpers or I would get the JKS ACOS adjustable spacers for the front and 2" spacers for the rear. Being able to adjust the front depending on future additions (bumpers...winch...) is one way to go. I like the idea of being able to dial in the exact stance I want.
I am going to do this mod soon to recoup the front stance.

Which ever way you go, you should consider adding something that will allow better adjustment of the front caster.
I added the JK Light Racing Series Caster/Pinion Angle Bolts

#11 ·
kjeeper10 said:
You are going to lose height. Softer stock springs more than stiffer springs.

I recommend Rancho 9000 shocks. They are about $75 a peace sometimes less If Rancho had a promo.

Good luck Cam
Thanks kjeeper, just lookin to get the best bang for my buck to save some money for other mods! Bumpers won't be comin till much later, only focused on tires/wheels an a lift for the time being

#12 ·
JeepJinx said:
I added both front and rear Rugged Ridge XHD bumpers and I lost some of the height I got from the TF BB. I would say I lost more in the front than rear and I would guess it to be about an inch.
If I was doing it again, I would either get the RR XHD Aluminium bumpers or I would get the JKS ACOS adjustable spacers for the front and 2" spacers for the rear. Being able to adjust the front depending on future additions (bumpers...winch...) is one way to go. I like the idea of being able to dial in the exact stance I want.
I am going to do this mod soon to recoup the front stance.

Which ever way you go, you should consider adding something that will allow better adjustment of the front caster.
I added the JK Light Racing Series Caster/Pinion Angle Bolts
How much did your bumpers weigh?

#13 ·
I'll start with "the search function is your friend." OK, with that out of the way, time to beat the horse a bit.

BMACD makes the point perfectly - the point of the budget boost is to spend as little as possible. Can you invest in control arm brackets from AEV or adjustable LCA's for fine tuning your Jeeps ride/handling/steering, etc.? Sure. Can you get new track bars to or brackets to dial in your axles? Yes, you can. Can you get new sway bar links to ensure optimal performance for that component? Yup.

The bottom line is that suspension lift is suspension lift (to some extent). Your Jeep doesn't care whether you used spacers or springs when it comes to steering geometry, drive shaft angle, axle position or a host of other things.

Yes, you'll get some added sag with bumpers and what not. Given that the respective axle will handle almost all the weight because of the position of the bumper in question, the big factor is what factory coils are you working with? The stiffer coils might only lose you a half inch or less for big, beefy bumpers so popular now.

Shocks are a big factor in how your vehicle handles, and the springs are a complimentary factor for both handling and ride height. At some point, it becomes imperative to upgrade your stock running gear to something that will handle the weight a bit better. Try it for yourself and see, as only you can really answer that for yourself.

As to install prices...I'm not sure what your local shops charge...here, almost everyone is close to 80 bucks and hour for labor almost irrespective of what that labor is (paint, body, etc.). This is, at most, a two hour job for a competent shop that goes the extra mile to loosen all your suspension bolts, set the lift in, and re-torques everything to spec. I can break down that bill of work further, if you like.

Lastly, if the less is more route is where you want to go, check out this article from...some magazine or other:

Less Is More: Jeep Wrangler JK Suspension - Jp Magazine

#14 ·
I ran a TF 2.5 BB with shock adapters, along with an extra 3/4" spacer in front (Skyjacker JKFPS75) for 5 years on our '07 JKUR with a Smittybuilt SRC bumper and a Warn M8000 winch.

I liked it enough to do the exact same setup on our '12 JKUR.

It does wander just a little more than when it was stock but it's not annoying.

#15 ·
So you can stack another front spacer onto the budget boost spacer? I was wondering if this was possible since after getting my 2.5 BB the rake of the Jeep was still lower in the front. Thought about adding a 1/2 to 3/4 spacer in the front or putting a 2" spacer in the back instead of the 2.5"

#18 ·
I've only used a Skyjacker 3/4" spacer on top of the TF BB. I don't know if others will play as nice with each other.

Between the '07 we traded in and our '12 we have over 140,000 miles on this setup and have had zero issues. (Both were Unlimited Rubicons.) And that includes 2 trips yearly (since '07) from Kansas City to Moab to go play.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.