Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What year models will interchange with my 93 yj. I just want more power than the 2.5 gives

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Its quite involved... if you do a search you will find what you are looking for.

If you are not a gear head with a shop full of tools, it would be easier and cheaper to just sell your jeep and buy a 6cyl wrangler.

·
Premium Member
546 Posts
Duman,

Camarozz is correct. If you are not a mechanic or have a lot of experience under your belt, it will be expensive and time consuming. It isn't as easy as everyone says UNLESS YOU HAVE A DONOR JEEP. And if you have that, we wouldn't be "discussing" this right now.

I have put a V6 in my 1992 YJ. It began with a 2.5. I didn't go inline six because I already owned the V6 BUT THE CONVERSION IS ALMOST THE SAME. You can't use your AX5 transmission or your NP231(unless you change input shafts.) If you check out my signature below, you will see my rebuild information and you can check it out. It goes into a lot of detail about what you will need to do for the swap and most of it applies to your swap, as well.

Take care,

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know it will be some work and my dads been a motorcycle mechanic for 35 years.we actually just did a motor swap on my brothers ranger.we put a 302 on it.I'm just trying to figure out which motor i need

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Well, I suspect a complete set of 4.0L, AX15 and TC would be a reasonable swap. But really the options are almost unlimited depending on what you want to do.

·
Registered
42 Posts
How about...

Why not go SBC...

The 6 over the 4 in nominal...

get a crate 350 & don't look back..:thumb:..

or

Regear for the 35s... & run the 4cyl...

although...

you'll need a better rear diff for 35s...

Have fun..!!..

Nike

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It has 4:11 gears in it now. Thought about doing a 350 but thought our may be a Lil cheaper to put an inline 6 in it

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
I think the cherokee would work, you would probably need to re-clock the TC (I had to) to get it to fit properly with the skid plate.

35's would be a bit for those tiny axles though, but if you upgrade the axles I hear it can hold up if your not hard on it.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
oh, sorry, Transfer Case; referencing that I would use the motor and transfer case from the same donor. Otherwise you might have to change the input shaft of the transfer case depending on what transmission, and transfer case, you end up with.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Watch out for express. Hes gonna kill you.....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts