Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Putting the 2.5 inch Teraflex Spring Coil Set and Bilstein Shocks on my 2013 JK 2D with stock rims and 255/80/17 Tires.

From everything Ive read and seen online on these forums is that there should be 0 issues with the set up?

Mechanic calls me today and says the lift is all installed but there is an issue with the new "sway bar" rubbing on the rim/tire and that I have 3 options.

1. Forget?
2. Tire Spacers
3. Use Stock sway bar?

I wasent aware the teraflex 2.5 inch coil spring set even comes with a new swaybar? Why is it rubbing?

·
Registered
215 Posts
I had this with the Mopar 3" stage 3 lift.

It was the rear sway bar links or dog bones that were too close to the wheel.

Used spacers temporarily until I put the new wheels and tires on.

·
Registered
442 Posts
That lift doesn't come with swaybar. You will need 1.25-1.5 inch wheel spacers with stock rims to clear rear swaybar.

·
Administrator
16,967 Posts
Can anyone recommend a good set of rims (black in color) that will fit my tires and have the proper offset so that I don't need spacers?
Wheels are a personal taste thing. As mentioned above choose one with a 4.5" backspace. Little more/little less is OK, but not more than 4.75"
Nothing wrong with spacers either, they do the same thing.

·
Super Moderator
16,375 Posts
What happens is the sway bar link is longer which puts the upper bolt right along side the sidewall of the tire. At stock height, the upper bolt lines up with the flange of the wheel which is much narrower than the tire. So now when you articulate, the tire rotates in and can contact the upper bolt which can easily puncture the tire...

The best fix is going with a wheel that has between 4.5 and 5.0 back spacing. I'm a big fan of the Mammoth wheels from Extreme Terrain and the Quadratec exclusive wheels, because they are hub-centric to fit our Jeeps.

Jeep Wrangler 17" Wheels | Free Shipping

Quadratec Exclusive Alloy Wheels - Quadratec

·
Registered
90 Posts
You wanted to stay with your stock wheels... so I would just get the spacers.

If you want wheels later, do some research to get what you want, and then try to sell your spacers.

·
Registered
442 Posts
you wanted to stay with your stock wheels... So i would just get the spacers.

If you want wheels later, do some research to get what you want, and then try to sell your spacers.
+1

·
Registered
459 Posts
I have the TF 2.5" kit sitting in the shop right now and according to the install instructions it says to install the new links positioned on the inside of the sway bar and bracket (instead of the outside, as is stock). This will provide the most tire clearance possible, as should be ok with stock tires/wheels.

Did you mechanic do this or just try to install them as stock?

·
Registered
12 Posts
^^^^^ Correct.

I have the same lift and my mechanic installed the links on the inside to avoid clearance issues. Have had it on for 8 months with no problems.

I had an "incident" in the past using spacers on my old grand cherokee and my fiance will not let me use them again. Wheel flew off driving down the highway. I take full responsibility for the incident, whoops!

·
Registered
67 Posts
You're referring to back spacing I believe.

The offset you will need will be dependent on how wide of a wheel you get.
yep, sorry. I was a bit tired. Backspacing,not offset. This is actually stated on most lift kit makers' websites.

Been looking at getting a lift myself. spend way too much time reading and reading it again. need to just purchase already. but i fear the same problems. lol. and i am not comfortable on spacers.

OP, glad to see you're getting some new wheels

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Lol yes! I did not want spacers, thus now I shelled out money for the rims. All I wanted was a 2.5 lift and 33's on stock rims.

But now it turned into lift, rims, wheels, and GEARING!

My 13 Jk comes with stock 3.23 gearing which is just terrible. My 5th gear is pretty much useless. Going to be going with 4.10. If I had gone 35's I would do 4.56 but Im sticking with my 33's.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts