Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 40 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
853 Posts
nursebuck said:
It seems the inner sleeve fuses with the bolt and bushing. Nasty complication but nothing big if you have the right tools. It was the roughest part of the install. IMO.:D
True. We were torching it while trying to spin them with the impact and used a heavy duty air hammer to knock it out when it finally did. In any case a combination of a GOOD torch, an impact, a heavy duty air hammer, and a lift helps to make it a 20 min removal (I'm referring to inner bolts)

Being normal is just crazy! :D

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
True. We were torching it while trying to spin them with the impact and used a heavy duty air hammer to knock it out when it finally did. In any case a combination of a GOOD torch, an impact, a heavy duty air hammer, and a lift helps to make it a 20 min removal (I'm referring to inner bolts)

they dont look tough....
I sprayed everything again
OME 2.5, OME shackels, and stering damper shhiped today:punk:
I do not have an Impact gun
I do have a torch and grinder with a cutting wheel:thumb:
weather turned bad again:banghead:

·
Registered
507 Posts
Great to hear you went with OME... You'll love it.

·
Registered
853 Posts
MYKIDS95YJ said:
they dont look tough....
That's the point. You underestimate those until its too late and your jeep is half way apart :D

·
Registered
85 Posts
That's the point. You underestimate those until its too late and your jeep is half way apart :D

60mg is right. Don't underestimate those bolts. Many people think just because they are turning, they will come out. I sprayed everything 3-4 times with penetrating oil and loosened the bolts (or so I thought). I started the lift and BAM!:banghead: all of the sudden I spent several hours on ONE BOLT. Just be prepared!!! Have a torch and a cutting tool. Good luck!!:thumb:

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
60mg is right. Don't underestimate those bolts. Many people think just because they are turning, they will come out. I sprayed everything 3-4 times with penetrating oil and loosened the bolts (or so I thought). I started the lift and BAM!:banghead: all of the sudden I spent several hours on ONE BOLT. Just be prepared!!! Have a torch and a cutting tool. Good luck!!:thumb:
I am taking note! I will be ready for war!:banghead:
Sounds like I will need new bolts. Shouldnt those also be greaseable?:confused:
The OME shackels will cover the very front and back.:punk:
Any sugestions:eek:

·
Registered
853 Posts
Get the greasable if you can. Otherwise just get replacements. I'll check if I have any from my partout

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Are you guys talking about just getting the nut off?
or the bolt out?:confused:

·
Registered
853 Posts
The bolt out. Nut off is the easy part :)

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
The bolt out. Nut off is the easy part :)

ok
(Earlier, I went out and got the nuts off both the drivers side inner spring mounts, it took like 5 min. I was wondering! )
the track bars look like they will be tough!
I do not see greasable replacment bolts for sale online :confused:
I think i will work my way around cleaning, looseing, and retighting bolts to get ready, so when we install, it will go fast

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Good, Bad, and the Ugly

:dance:The kit showed up at work today!

OME leaf springs, Damper, shackels, TC drop kit, U-bolt kits, JKS disco's, and track bar bushings :thumb:

But when we where checking things out... somethings did not add up:banghead:

Only one set of shackels and the wrong bushings:nonono:

When I ordered from quadratec, the guy said it was all good!:rolleyes:

I should of ordered one more shackle set without the bushings and they should of sent the right bushings with the springs:nonono:

I called ARB first to get thr right Intel:surrender:

The guy was great, took his time, talked me through the whole thing, to make sure i had the straight up to call Quadratec.:punk:
Called Quadratec, the c s rep was great, made sure they had the right stuff on the way free shipping, return tag for the wrong bushings, discounted the second set of OME shackles I need, :thumb:

ps. He also said best of luck with those inner frame bushing bolts:eek:

·
Registered
853 Posts
As we were saying ... :D
BTW, you should start getting the right tools in your tool box also. It's an important part of Jeep (I suppose Wrangler in particular) culture :D , so when you get to brag about your jeep you get to brag about your tools too :)

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
We have a few tools:)
I Need a air impact and a welder:surrender:
I think I have everything else:eek:
I have a BFH !:punk:
I should probily make a list:facepalm:
Maybe I should start a post so we can make a exact list of tools to do a lift :thumb:
Like:
13/16" comb wrench
7/8" comb. wrench
4 lb drilling hammer
ect.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Would make for a good thread go ahead start on up

We have a few tools:)
I Need a air impact and a welder:surrender:
I think I have everything else:eek:
I have a BFH !:punk:
I should probily make a list:facepalm:
Maybe I should start a post so we can make a exact list of tools to do a lift :thumb:
Like:
13/16" comb wrench
7/8" comb. wrench
4 lb drilling hammer
ect.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
:dance:The kit showed up at work today!

OME leaf springs, Damper, shackels, TC drop kit, U-bolt kits, JKS disco's, and track bar bushings :thumb:

But when we where checking things out... somethings did not add up:banghead:

Only one set of shackels and the wrong bushings:nonono:

When I ordered from quadratec, the guy said it was all good!:rolleyes:

I should of ordered one more shackle set without the bushings and they should of sent the right bushings with the springs:nonono:

I called ARB first to get thr right Intel:surrender:

The guy was great, took his time, talked me through the whole thing, to make sure i had the straight up to call Quadratec.:punk:
Called Quadratec, the c s rep was great, made sure they had the right stuff on the way free shipping, return tag for the wrong bushings, discounted the second set of OME shackles I need, :thumb:

ps. He also said best of luck with those inner frame bushing bolts:eek:
I have been out of town

Quadratec shipped the new bushings and another set of OME shackels:dance:

we sprayed PB Blaster on everything again:banghead:

I took the nuts loose on the frame bushing bolts and tapped on them a bit,
Got one lose from the sleave!:punk:

·
NASCAR JEEP!!!!
470 Posts
ok, so maybe this is a foolish question, but there seems to be a lot of response on this thread....is the OME suspension really that much better than the RC for double the cost? I'll be purchasing a 1.5-2.5" lift kit soon and like what I read about OME, but is it really worth it? Thanks for the input and thanks in advance for the notes above. I'll definitely keep all the war issues in mind when I start mine!

·
Registered
507 Posts
The truth... It is that much better. It really depends on what YOU want in your rig. I needed a suspension that would be good for long road trips a few times a year (trips up to the Blue Ridge and down thru the FL keys) as well as a solid set up for the occassional weekend trail run that would keep my back and wife happy in all situations. OME handles both on and off road very well, and I would say flexes better than the stiffer RC springs. If on road ride quality is not so important, then one of the other lift kits will work great for you. OME costs a premium for a reason, but there are tons of people happy with the RC lifts. Given the lower price, it is a balanced compromise of price and overall ride quality.

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
i also thank everyone for their input! i'm in the market for a lift kit as well, and until yesterday i had pretty much written off OME as being too expensive. now i'm re-thinking my opinion!

·
Registered
853 Posts
Just finished up t-case drop in the attempt to get rid of the post-lift-installation vibration. Well, let's put it this way - it substantially downsized it but didn't take care of it completely. Here is what I did. I have RC 2.5" SL, +1" boomerang shackles, 1" Daystar t-case drop, and brand-spanking-new u-joints on the rear drive shaft. It still gets sizable vibration at up to 20 mph and then gradually goes down till it becomes as lows as engine, road noise, etc. To my understanding before I go SYE/CV-shaft combo my last resort would be to try rebalance the driveshaft. If that doesn't work then I'll go with the SYE combo. True example of "... each Wrangler is different in its own way." :D

·
NASCAR JEEP!!!!
470 Posts
mellowyellow thanks! i do basically on road travel. haven't had the opportunity to go off roading yet, and not really sure i'd trust myself to do so, but that's a different story i guess......... i spose anything has to be better than the god only knows how old shocks i have now and completely flattened springs.

thanks for the input......just going to have to make a call from here i guess.....

21 - 40 of 103 Posts