Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

After much research I finally decided to bite the bullet and order a lift for my 2012 jku sport. I went with a 2.5" Metalcloak lift, with the dual rate 2.5" coils, OME shocks, and front upper control arms.

JK Wrangler Dual-Rate Lift Kit, 2.5"/3.5", ARB Edition

I decided on this kit as a starter, as I can always order the other control arms and rear trackbar later if I decide I need them. I am of course fighting with myself over getting 33" or 35" tires so we will see what I eventually go with.

So here is my question, what little things do I need to order to finish off this lift? Exhaust spacer etc.

Don't worry, I will take many pictures and post them once the lift shows up and I begin the transformation of my jeep. :dance:

Thank you!

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
Hi everyone,

After much research I finally decided to bite the bullet and order a lift for my 2012 jku sport. I went with a 2.5" Metalcloak lift, with the dual rate 2.5" coils, OME shocks, and front upper control arms.

JK Wrangler Dual-Rate Lift Kit, 2.5"/3.5", ARB Edition

I decided on this kit as a starter, as I can always order the other control arms and rear trackbar later if I decide I need them. I am of course fighting with myself over getting 33" or 35" tires so we will see what I eventually go with.

So here is my question, what little things do I need to order to finish off this lift? Exhaust spacer etc.

Don't worry, I will take many pictures and post them once the lift shows up and I begin the transformation of my jeep. :dance:

Thank you!
From what I've seen of it, that's a pretty all-inclusive lift. And good. The exhaust spacer is all I'd add, till you drive it on the highway and determine whether or not you need ca's/tb's.

·
Registered
591 Posts
If you got an auto, then the exhaust spacers will help for now while you safe up money for the front drive shaft that will eventually fail on you. Time and luck will determent on how long your drive shaft will last.

·
Registered
26,921 Posts
Adjustable front trackbar and a rear axle side trackbar bracket.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
I also grabbed a new hardware kit NR4X4 Jeep JK Grade 8 Hardware kit . I am not sure about the exhaust spacer. I am not 100% sure, but I was under the impression that I wouldn't need one for the 13. I will find out tomorrow. I also grabbed an artic truss kit for the front. I wouldn't worry about the driveshaft until you need to. There are plenty of other places to spend your money for now.

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
And...bam. We're into confusing territory. Couldn't you guys have let him bask in the sweetness of his lift for at least a day? :D

OP: you shouldn't need new driveshafts with a 2.5" lift. Even with the extra you'll undoubtedly get out of it, eventually you'll get some settling. If you're gonna wheel it like you stole it, maybe...even then, I'd say run the stockers, and keep an eyeball on the CV joints. When you see a strip of grease on your undercarriage, front or back, you'll know it's time.

As for the adj trackbars and control arms...install first. Drive it. If your axles are off-center, you'll need a trackbar to re-center them. If your caster sucks, you'll need front lower adj control arms. But no sense spending the $$ till you know you need either, or both.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey guys thanks for the replies so far
Yes I do have an auto.
The kit I purchased comes with front upper CA's, adjustable front TB, and a rear TB bracket, dual rate springs OME shocks, and bumpstops and such. I'm going to go with the spacer for the exhaust and a procal for the larger tires. Thinking of the teraflex spare tire bracket to hold the heavier tire. So a bolt kit is good I hadn't thought of replacing those. Any other small things like that I might be missing?

Thanks again

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
OP: you shouldn't need new driveshafts with a 2.5" lift. Even with the extra you'll undoubtedly get out of it, eventually you'll get some settling. If you're gonna wheel it like you stole it, maybe...even then, I'd say run the stockers, and keep an eyeball on the CV joints. When you see a strip of grease on your undercarriage, front or back, you'll know it's time.

X2 Yup!!:thumb: My 2 1/2" RK Max Travel yeilded me over 4"; even with my home fabbed bumpers; sliders and a 12K winch and my driveshafts haven't failed YET! And I just use mine for wheeling and hunting.

·
Super Moderator
53,784 Posts

·
Super Moderator
53,784 Posts
socalsport said:
Hey guys thanks for the replies so far
Yes I do have an auto.
The kit I purchased comes with front upper CA's, adjustable front TB, and a rear TB bracket, dual rate springs OME shocks, and bumpstops and such. I'm going to go with the spacer for the exhaust and a procal for the larger tires. Thinking of the teraflex spare tire bracket to hold the heavier tire. So a bolt kit is good I hadn't thought of replacing those. Any other small things like that I might be missing?

Thanks again
Came with upper fronts not lowers ?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yup, the kit comes with adjustable upper fronts for the alignment. It is different than most other kits that usually come with the lowers but it seems that it would accomplish the same thing. I figure if I need the other arms I can add them on later. Once I get it set up and take it offroad i'll decide if I need/want the other arms mostly based on the flex or lack of it of the stock arms.

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
That's what my Full Traction lift came with, front uppers. I was prepared to buy the lowers if I needed em, especially after adding the front ds, but it turned out not to be necessary.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Get the lift installed yet? Still on the fence about going 2.5" vs. 3.5" Metal Cloak, and I haven't seen any 2.5" lifted MC Jeeps yet.

·
Registered
274 Posts
How about now? I just pulled the trigger on the game changer lite from Metal Cloak. I was going to ask the same question as the OP but didn't need to. I would like to hear if the OP got his lift installed????

Did you buy the bolt kit from Northridge?

Which Spacer kit did you buy and how did your install go??

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi
No haven't installed it yet.
A lot of things came up recently so it's just sitting in a box in my garage. I am dying to install it I just need to find some time. Look up threads from combatchuk he installed the same lift you purchased.
I am buying a bolt kit probably the synergy kit. The other issue slowing me down is pulling the trigger on 2500 dollars of wheel and tire.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
I just finished my install finally yesterday. I ran into a bunch of delays before getting it done as well. The kit was well engineered. I installed the artec industries front axle truss with modified mounting locations, so I was a bit worried at first. I did use the northridge4x4 bolt kit. I did not use an exhaust spacer. I have not even got to drive it yet though. I literally finished bolting all four wheels back on, lowered it to the ground and then hustled to the airport to fly out again. So it is just sitting in my shop waiting to go to the tire shop on Wednesday for some new shoes and an alignment. I will try to post some pics later, I am not in a very friendly internet location at the moment.

BTW, if you are stressing about installing it, I did it 100% by myself. Well, had 6 jackstands and 2 jacks. It took me a couple of days, but I took my sweet time and rechecked everything 6 times and then had to redo some things a few times because I was unsure of the order. Metalcloak does not supply a complete set of step by step instructions, so you have to figure some of it out on your own or have some knowledge. I have no knowledge, so it took more time. A bonus though was that metalcloak had thrown in a set of rear shock mount relocation brackets which I installed. I was impressed by those and the additional clearance that they provide...

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Oh and my kit had front and rear upper and lower control arms, front track bar, rear trackbar with mount, brake lines, and the OME shocks.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Thanks for the update. I know the tire and wheel hit to the bank account is a double whammy so for me, I am just gonna use the spacers for now. But I know that as soon as that lift is installed, I will be drooling for some new tires at least, if not tires and wheels. Then I will have a set of spacers for sale. Along with the springs/shocks etc.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts