Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night some guys in my local Jeep club had a talk and tune to help install my TeraFlex 2.5" coil lift. It was about 40 miles from me and once we got everything out I realized I somehow forgot to pack the AEV front control arm relocation bracket kit I ordered.

I probably won't have a free moment until next weekend to get this put in. The instructions say it takes 4 hours which seems insane, didn't take that long to do the entire lift. So I will not have that much down time until next weekend do get to it. The Jeep is my daily driver though.

Am I going to run in to major issues running without that relocation bracket up front with 2.5" of lift? I'm kind of closer to 3" honestly right now.

Driving the 40 miles home the steering and everything felt the exact same as it did before but I do not want to keep driving it a week if it's going to cause major issues.

·
Registered
26 Posts
No problem. I run the same lift with 35's on my 2 door, and don't have relocation brackets. You'll be fine.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Are you talking about the geometry correction brackets ?

I'd put them in. They'll give you more caster and your LCA's will be more horizontal.

Your steering will be better and less brake dive. They're kind of a pain to install, but not too hard. Put them in. You'll notice an improvement.

·
Registered
249 Posts
im running the same 2.5 TF springs with stock arms/stock location. been this way for almost a year. youll be fine without adding the brackets, only thing that they will change is slightly less caster angle and the control arms are a slight angle. ive never been a big fan for control arm relocation brackets, id rather put the money towards a good set of adjustable control arms. but that's just my opinion

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are you talking about the geometry correction brackets ? I'd put them in. They'll give you more caster and your LCA's will be more horizontal. Your steering will be better and less brake dive. They're kind of a pain to install, but not too hard. Put them in. You'll notice an improvement.
Correct! This is what I have

http://northridge4x4.com/shop/aev-jk-front-control-arm-brackets-20410ad

I for sure will install it I just wasn't sure if driving a week to work etc would hurt anything to badly.

Is there a better option then using this bracket too? I've heard it can drops it die in possible harms way while offroading.

·
Premium Member
5,474 Posts
You can run without them.

I didn't have them with 2.5" and 33s but when I went to 35s the front was a little squirrely. That's when I installed mine.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Is there a better option then using this bracket too
Yes, adjustable control arms. The brackets will lower the back of the control arm closer to the ground to regain caster and arm angle. With adjustable control arms you retain your current ground clearance and regain your caster

·
Registered
185 Posts
I ran 4" of lift on mine without any arms at all for like a month and a half before my arms came in. 4 hours is a bit much but arms can be a bear sometimes if you don't have the right equipment or help

·
Super Moderator
14,549 Posts
No problem at all running without them. You will simply handle better with them. They correct more than just caster.

When lifted, the control arm angle increases which will induce brake dive. Due to the angles of the control arms, you also create an undesirable geometry where the control arms and springs actually work against each other throughout the suspension travel. This causes bumps to feel worse then they actually are, specifically sharp bumps like potholes. The brackets correct both of those geometry issues for a smoother, better ride.

They do lower ground clearance a little, but it is close to the tire breakover point so it isn't as bad as it sounds.

·
Registered
5,701 Posts
Since you have the brackets certainly go ahead and install them when you have a chance but they are not required just like adjustable CAs are not required. Actually the adjustable CAs create more a direct benefit (steering stability) than the brackets (steering quality).

Interestingly enough many opposed the brackets on the grounds they reduce ground clearance. The fact that AEV as one of the first also didn't help matters. Now they are highly recommended even on moderate lifts (2.5"). It would appear the ground has gotten lower so clearance is not an issue any more. :D

·
Super Moderator
53,758 Posts
Since you have the brackets certainly go ahead and install them when you have a chance but they are not required just like adjustable CAs are not required. Actually the adjustable CAs create more a direct benefit (steering stability) than the brackets (steering quality). Interestingly enough many opposed the brackets on the grounds they reduce ground clearance. The fact that AEV as one of the first also didn't help matters. Now they are highly recommended even on moderate lifts (2.5"). It would appear the ground has gotten lower so clearance is not an issue any more. :D
AEV's 2.5" hole was added in a later revision. First cam bolts, then brackets for 3.5/4.5. Now 2.5/3.5/4.5

OP agree with all. Caster is not a must, but you'll find the jeep handles better with brackets/arms.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts