Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I was originally planning to get a 2.5" lift from RC, but do to a generous pay raise, I'm considering getting the 3.25". I have 32x12.50 Kumhos. The only reason I'm posting is because it's my daily driver, and I don't want it to be TOO much of a difference. I'm sure it won't be, I just don't want to end up wasting $400. What do you think? Go for the 3.25"? Or stick with 2.5"?

·
Registered
981 Posts
I have the RC 2.5" on mine, I had to lower the transfercase to get rid of vibes (MML and BL coming soon to fix that). Your mileage may very. 3.25" SOMETHING is going to have to be done in order to get the drive line back to being inline. Just so ya know.
Otherwise, thats all about preference my man.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I have had the RC 2.5 coils and 1.25 body lift (3.75) for two years now. This was my first lift and I honestly don't have MANY complaints. That said though I can't wait to change it haha The two things that I can't stand are that the springs have started to sag and the ride quality is CRAP! I know your not asking wether or not it's a good lift, but you said you don't want to waste your money:)! Look into zone lifts. I haven't heard many bad things about them. I wish I would have had the patients to save up and buy a better quality lift but you learn from your mistakes I guess. Here's a couple pics of the 2.5 inch springs in action though:

image-722737860.jpg

image-2466690792.jpg

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
I don't want it to be TOO much of a difference. I'm sure it won't be, I just don't want to end up wasting $400.
Rough Country and SkyJacker will rattle your teeth...they are harsh rides mostly from their crappy shocks. You will be way happier with a Zone lift which is in the same price range, better quality parts, and much smoother ride. :thumb:

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I guess there's not much of a difference between the two lifts then. And the rate of which the suspension starts to sag and decrease in ride quality, has a lot to do with how hard to flex and wheel with it, right? Because I live in Florida, there's mostly just mud and easy trails where I ride.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Rough Country and SkyJacker will rattle your teeth...they are harsh rides mostly from their crappy shocks. You will be way happier with a Zone lift which is in the same price range, better quality parts, and much smoother ride. :thumb:
Haha, I just saw your posts on a thread about Zone, it all looks pretty good! I'll have to look around for a good price on the Zone 3" kit!

·
Registered
258 Posts
I guess there's not much of a difference between the two lifts then. And the rate of which the suspension starts to sag and decrease in ride quality, has a lot to do with how hard to flex and wheel with it, right? Because I live in Florida, there's mostly just mud and easy trails where I ride.
I'm sure wheeling pays its toll on the springs but it has a lot to do with the spring rate I believe:thumb:

·
Registered
8,397 Posts

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I have to strongly debate that. At least on the Skyjacker front on certain components.

When it comes to kits that include fixed poly arms, they all suck plain and simple. But when it comes to shocks and springs soley, Skyjacker has better quality options available.

First off, zone springs are very, very stiff. To the tune of 158lb/200lb front and rear(like BDS springs). SKyjacker springs are 150/170lb F/R........compared to HEAVY DUTY OEM factory spring rates which are 140/160lb F/R. OME spring rates have 140lb front(with different coil windings for light/heavy duty options), and 160 for the rear(again coil windings differ depending on rear load capacity you will run).

On the shock front. Don't matter if its zone, RC, or SKyjacker.....their "entry level" shocks are all basically light duty twin tube design........they all suck IMO and when combined with really stiff spring rates, they fade and wear out really fast. Doesn't matter if its a "hydro" or nitro charged shock. The stiffer the spring, the quicker those shocks will wear out over time.

But Skyjacker has the "M95" option. Its basically a rebadged BDS 9500 series monotube(Think entry level Fox 2.0 shock WITHOUT the aluminum body)which is very stout and durable and valved to work well with OEM HD spring rates up to about 10-15% stiffer without premature fading and wear.

IMO for the OP best option for him would be to mix and match components to optimize for his needs like ride quality.

That being said, the OP should be looking at OME springs as his foundation starting point for a 4 banger TJ and research which shocks he would want to go with along with the few odds n ends brackets and accessories he will need.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Bottom line is, you might be better off saving for a better lift instead of buying a cheap one first and then slowly replacing it. I'm not gonna say that you have to get a Currie or Savvy if your Jeep doesn't even see offroad use but do some more research before going, '"Ah, this lift is the height I want and also the cheapest, I think I'll get it." They often don't address crucial aspects. Many don't come with adjustable arms and even keep stock arms for uppers. Most ride like crap due to cheap shocks. Most come with a TC drop which is rather counterproductive if you ask me. Just be aware that the super cheap price quoted by companies like RC is that low because it isn't a complete kit done right, it is the absolute minimum.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Go with 4 inch savvy springs and fox shocks non or Res 2.0s.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Go with 4 inch savvy springs and fox shocks non or Res 2.0s.
Solid choice but maybe more $$$ than the OP wants to spend. Gerald has some bling stuff, I'm about to pull the trigger on some control arms from him.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I really should've thrown this in before, but my budget for a lift is $500.
I don't mean to sound like a douche here but that's sort of like wanting to rent out a 2 bedroom apartment for $200 a month and expecting it to be in a nice neighborhood.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I don't mean to sound like a douche here but that's sort of like wanting to rent out a 2 bedroom apartment for $200 a month and expecting it to be in a nice neighborhood.
It's a Jeep Wrangler...I can live with the ride being rough. I'm sure it'll be a large improvement from the suspension that's on it now. It's the original from 1998, and it's been wheeled HARD.

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
It's a Jeep Wrangler...I can live with the ride being rough. I'm sure it'll be a large improvement from the suspension that's on it now. It's the original from 1998, and it's been wheeled HARD.
If you don't care about ride quality or longevity of products , buy the RC 2.5. Its cheaper and you don't need more for 32's.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts