Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, im sure this topic has been shot to death but....

I'm looking at 2 different kits.

1st is the Zone 3" kit

2nd is the teraflex 2.5 coil

my jeep is a 2015 jku Sahara and ill be running 18" monster xd with 325 duratracs

questions...

is there much of a difference between the actual lift height? I've tried searching for this answer but can't find anything. ive looked at pictures and it looks as the zone is a lot higher..

will any of these cause drive shaft issues at all?

90% of my driving will be pavement as its my every day driver

with the teraflex do i need to do the shocks or can i just buy the coil kit?

any help with this would be great.

·
Registered
383 Posts
3in is about the maximum you should go without adding extras like drive shafts etc. The difference should ideally be about half an inch, but the reality is that can look like a significant amount. Also the pics you look at, and their actual heights will vary due to vehicle weight from armor etc.

You will likely need the exhaust spacer with either.

My eventual plan is to get the Metal Cloak 2.5 kit, and once I start adding weight to switch to some 3in springs to maintain the same or close to same height with the added weight.

·
Registered
4,110 Posts
On JKs 3" is a good indication a driveshaft is needed eventually. Daily's may not need them for a long time. There used to be a huge DS thread here but I can't find it anymore.
On a JKU its debatable because you typically get a little less lift from the same 3" kit.
If you are concerned about needing a DS go with the Teraflex 2.5" and you're covered.
Pics can be deceiving as Blackburn mentioned. Call the companies- they can give you a good idea of what to expect.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
On JKs 3" is a good indication a driveshaft is needed eventually. Daily's may not need them for a long time. There used to be a huge DS thread here but I can't find it anymore. On a JKU its debatable because you typically get a little less lift from the same 3" kit. If you are concerned about needing a DS go with the Teraflex 2.5" and you're covered. Pics can be deceiving as Blackburn mentioned. Call the companies- they can give you a good idea of what to expect.
That's a great idea. I will call them tomorrow. All the lifts of the zones I see do look a lot taller though. I've been going Google crazy of both lifts.

·
Registered
4,110 Posts
It's easy to do. Analysis paralysis.
I don't know much about the Zone. I have the Mopar 3" lift which is made of mostly Teraflex parts (though they try to deny that now..) and have been nothing but happy with it. There are always dissenters but Teraflex is a pretty safe bet.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i just noticed that teraflex has 2 different coil kits one with shock extensions and one without? whats the difference other than the obvious?

·
Super Moderator
53,758 Posts
i just noticed that teraflex has 2 different coil kits one with shock extensions and one without? whats the difference other than the obvious?
Thats a good question actually. The one with extensions is considered a budget (based) kit.
It also comes with the inferior rear frame side track bar bracket.
You are better off with the kit with no shocks which includes the axle side bracket.
Then buy extensions or better yet Rancho 5000x shocks. After rebate $150

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thats a good question actually. The one with extensions is considered a budget (based) kit.
It also comes with the inferior rear frame side track bar bracket.
You are better off with the kit with no shocks which includes the axle side bracket.
Then buy extensions or better yet Rancho 5000x shocks. After rebate $150
ok, so you're saying that the kit without the extension is there if you plan on buying different shocks...

maybe ill just look at the kit that comes with the shocks as well. thanks for all your help

cheers

1 - 9 of 9 Posts