Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just put a Pro Comp 2.5" suspension lift and a 1" body lift on my 88 six auto YJ. First suspension installed. Everything is tight and I rode her around this weekend and there was all types of popping and binding sounds even on the littlest bump. However, it was only when turning and going into a driveway type turn that I felt all the clicking and popping. Is this normal?

What do I need to do to remedy?

Does it need to settle and then be retightened?

The sounds are coming from the suspension, not steering or drivetrain.

Please let me know your thoughts.

·
Registered
199 Posts
The most common issue is over tightening the shackles and other bushings. Loosen it all up, cycle the suspension, then tighten to spec with a good torque wrench. Recheck after 100 miles. Make sure the Jeep is on the ground under its own weight when you torque each bolt. Then report back to us. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
If your new bushings are urethane you will have quite a bit of noise from them. They make lube to quiet it down, but it doesnt last long. Especially if things ate too tight.

·
Registered
158 Posts
What kind of angle is your drive shaft sitting on? After you did the lift did you notice if the drive shaft is out further than before? I saw a noticeable difference immediately after putting 2.5" Springs on and had to drop my skid plate to account for all the new popping sounds similar to what you described.

Also I have no body lift and stock shackles.

I agree with the others about the bushings but I don't think that's your problem.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies all. I was told that a suspension has to "break in" so I put a few more miles on it to cycle the suspension to check into this before I really started to dig in. The noises have reduced significantly with not much change in driving habits. Does this sound right?

I out about 100 miles on it over the weekend and I am feeling comfortable with it now but will crawl under it on Saturday to double check.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts