Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey.

decided im going w the 2.5 max travel and 35" nitto trail grapplers.

i couldnt decide on a new wheel so i was just going to keep the stock wheels.

are there advantages/ disadvantages to wheel size? since im going to have to run spacers to keep the stocks i might just get new wheels while im at it if there are any huge advantages to a smaller wheel....thanks alot!!

·
Registered
211 Posts
More sidewall the better for offroad, you can get down to a 15"wheel on a JK so its personal preferance.

I'm putting my 35s on my stock wheels and running 1.5"spacers just because I like the look of the stock wheel and fat tires, technically too wide but can be done.

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
Some things to consider:

A smaller wheel will cost less, the tire will cost less, the combination will be lighter, you'll get a bigger contact patch and a fatter sidewall. What's not to like? Only reason to go with a larger wheel is if you just hate the look of the smaller ones.

With 15's, they'll be tight on the brake calipers. Most alloy 15's will clear; most steelies in that size will not. Also, most 15's are gonna have around 3.75" bs or less. They'll stick out from the Jeep more than most wheels.

16's will give you a much wider array of backspacing and wheels that will fit, but many of the 35's that are made for this size are E-rated tires, which are heavier, and can be pretty harsh on-road.

17's also offer a big selection, and probably the most tire choices, but you'll pay as much for tires in the 17" size as you would for tires AND wheels in the 15" size.

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
Insistez pour le faire eux-mêmes , vous êtes le meilleur , venez!
Je suis déconcerté. Vous êtes la lune! Une fois, j'ai eu un maïs pied, mais l'utilisation d'un couteau à beurre fait disparaître. Oui, je me rends compte que les cors des pieds et des lunes et perplexité sont des sujets étranges pour un forum Jeep. Mais ils reflètent la vie!

Yup...moons, foot corns, bafflement, and Jeeps. :)

·
Super Moderator
53,785 Posts
kbwwolf said:
Je suis déconcerté. Vous êtes la lune! Une fois, j'ai eu un maïs pied, mais l'utilisation d'un couteau à beurre fait disparaître. Oui, je me rends compte que les cors des pieds et des lunes et perplexité sont des sujets étranges pour un forum Jeep. Mais ils reflètent la vie!

Yup...moons, foot corns, bafflement, and Jeeps. :)
You saved the spam.... I like spam

Attachments

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
You saved the spam.... I like spam
When I lived in Austin, TX, they had a Spam festival every year. Don't know if it's still around, but a veritable cornucopia of Spam-related recipes to savor.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
I've seen 12.5's on stock tires I think ?
Not recommend but will work.

It's cheaper to go with a smaller wheel anyways. Plus you save from buying spacers.
35/12.50s fit great on stock Rubicon wheels. It's nice to have the wheel just a little bit on the narrow side to help keep the bead on when aired down. I'm usually at 8 lbs on the E rated tires offroad and don't have any issues with the beads.

·
Super Moderator
53,785 Posts
Silverton34 said:
35/12.50s fit great on stock Rubicon wheels. It's nice to have the wheel just a little bit on the narrow side to help keep the bead on when aired down. I'm usually at 8 lbs on the E rated tires offroad and don't have any issues with the beads.
I've heard that many times choosing my 8" for 12.5" tires.
They were fine new but after one romp off road, I am having issues balancing. The tire tech said I am still running to narrow a wheel for 12.5's. should be at least a 10" with 35's
People tell me that's not true but proof is in the pudding :(

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Never heard of balance issues from too narrow of wheel. I chose the Toyo tires this time because they are so easy to balance and use little to no weight compared to the KM2s and MTRs I have owned. I've fought balance issues in the past until I discovered the incredible Hunter Road Force Balancer. This machine even adjusts for hard and soft spots in the tires construction. Perfect balance.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I suspect that part of the problem some people have with balancing comes from using 15 inch rims.

It is far easier from a manufacturing standpoint to make a steel or aluminum rim that is circular then it is to make a rubber tire that is perfectly balanced.

So by going with a 17 or 18 inch rim, you are dealing with less tire sidewall and reducing the potential for manufacturing defects.

I don't have any proof of this, but it seems logical to me.

Mike

·
Super Moderator
53,785 Posts
onetraveller said:
I suspect that part of the problem some people have with balancing comes from using 15 inch rims.

It is far easier from a manufacturing standpoint to make a steel or aluminum rim that is circular then it is to make a rubber tire that is perfectly balanced.

So by going with a 17 or 18 inch rim, you are dealing with less tire sidewall and reducing the potential for manufacturing defects.

I don't have any proof of this, but it seems logical to me.

Mike
I agree

·
Registered
108 Posts
I saved $200 by buying the Pro Comp black steelies with 3.75" bs AND 35's over just buying 35's for the stock 17" wheel

1 - 18 of 18 Posts