Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys just bought a 90' wrangler with the 2.5,the motor has 106,000 miles.when you first start it cold it is quiet,leading me to believe that the valvetrain is in good shape.as the engine warms a loud ticking starts and gets worse as it warms.the motor has good oil pressure and seems to run great.listineing with a stethascope it sounds like its coming from the timing chain cover area,can this be piton slap or a timing chain problem(stretch?)anyone have a similar problem?or ideas?thanks,tom:really:

·
Registered
187 Posts
Yeah I have the same prob, Ive been told its the timing chain they slap against the block. But im going to pull the oil pan off and check the lower end soon. If you find the prob with your lut me know plz. I wish you were close by me so I could help you out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had the same problem after only 2600 miles on a rebuild. I took the timing cover off and found that the black fiber thing on the tensioner the chain rides on had move out of position. It was hitting on the cover and echoed through the whole engine. Replace tensioner with a new one and the problem went away.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts