Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

First off, my JK I use strictly on the road (unfortunately), as a daily driver. I live in NYC and getting out into the country is a rare event now a days.

I was thinking about installing a 2.5" coil spacer lift, strictly for visual appeal. I was looking at these here.

Will these work with my stock springs and shocks, I have a 2008 Wrangler? Is there anything I should worry about? Again, this is an on road only Jeep, the day I get back to the country I will upgrade to a full, spring, shock lift. But for the next year or so, will this be ok?

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
14,552 Posts
Hey all,

First off, my JK I use strictly on the road (unfortunately), as a daily driver. I live in NYC and getting out into the country is a rare event now a days.

I was thinking about installing a 2.5" coil spacer lift, strictly for visual appeal. I was looking at these here.

Will these work with my stock springs and shocks, I have a 2008 Wrangler? Is there anything I should worry about? Again, this is an on road only Jeep, the day I get back to the country I will upgrade to a full, spring, shock lift. But for the next year or so, will this be ok?

Thanks.
At 2.5 inches of lift there are a number of other things that need to be taken care of. Just the spacers isn't going to do it.

I'd look at the Rough Country Series II 2.5. It's got shock extensions to use your factory shocks, sway bar links, brake line brackets, a rear track bar bracket etc. to keep your rig in proper spec. It's still pretty economical at $180.

Rough Country 2.5" Series II Suspension Spacer Lift Kit without Shocks - RC-634

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Yeah, what he said.

One more thing to consider.

It might be worth a few bucks to have a shop check your upper and lower ball joints and control arm bushings for wear.

If they're worn your handling will suffer after the lift.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. A full on budget boost it is. Yeah my ball joints are def getting old. I can hear / feel play in the front sometimes when I hit pot holes on accident.

·
Registered
5,701 Posts
I would go a step further and install the Rubicon Express 2.5" spacer lift. The RC spacers are metal and can provide a stiffer and noisier ride while the RE are polyurethane. The small amount of pliability matters. RC suspension parts are low quality. :nonono:

·
Super Moderator
14,552 Posts
I would go a step further and install the Rubicon Express 2.5" spacer lift. The RC spacers are metal and can provide a stiffer and noisier ride while the RE are polyurethane. The small amount of pliability matters. RC suspension parts are low quality. :nonono:
No stiffer than stock since the spring isolator is used against metal, just like factory and won't deteriorate over time as some of the poly bushings have been known to do... A spacer lift is a spacer lift and RC does this one well.

We're not talking about RC shocks and springs here.

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Personally I prefer the TeraFlex 2.5" Performance BB. It has all the same brackets as their 2.5" spring lift so it's easy to upgrade later when/if you ad bumpers, winch and armor. Simply pull the stock springs and spacers and put in new lift springs.
My TF front spacers spent a couple years on the Jeep and still looked like new when I removed them. The rear spacers are still in after 7 years.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I installed a 2.5" BB from terra flex 3 weeks ago and i'm VERY pleased. HOWEVER, when i was at the mechanic shop, i opted to add 1.75 wheels spacers and i think you need to consider this with the BB for the look. On the parking lot, there was a JK with the 2,5" BB without the wheels spacer and it look odd. They had the wheel spacer in stock so they installed them without charging me extra time !!

Cheers !

·
Registered
5,701 Posts
No stiffer than stock since the spring isolator is used against metal, just like factory and won't deteriorate over time as some of the poly bushings have been known to do... A spacer lift is a spacer lift and RC does this one well.

We're not talking about RC shocks and springs here.
I disagree. Suspension and steering design is in the details. Not paying attention to the details is an easy to cut costs. That is what differentiates the bottom dwellers from the quality manufacturers.

·
Super Moderator
53,758 Posts
No stiffer than stock since the spring isolator is used against metal, just like factory and won't deteriorate over time as some of the poly bushings have been known to do... A spacer lift is a spacer lift and RC does this one well. We're not talking about RC shocks and springs here.
Agree poly/metal whatever, the price cant be beat.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts