Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...what else?

As someone new to lifting entirely, I've literally no idea what I'm getting into. Sounds fun! So I'm trying to figure out what all I would need to make the lift not only effective but what all would change.

The goal for me is I want the 2010 JKU Rubicon I'll be getting in fall to fit 33's or 35's on an 18" wheel (17 if I decide to be cheaper). Think I'll get Rockster II's or something from Fuel. I know I'll need 4.5" of backspacing and the ones I decided on have that so I think I will be fine. My issue is tire sizing and what else to get with the lift kit.

Teraflex (for example) has 2 configs for their 2.5" coil spring kits: with shocks or shock extensions. To save on money I could get the one without the shocks and wait till I had money but I think I'd rather get everything I need to over time and install it all at once.

But, seeing in another thread the Metal Cloak Unlimited dual-rate 2.5" kit and how it basically comes with everything but shocks, trackbar, and control arms. Would there be anything else I would need?

In advance I'd also like to say sorry since I'm a lift noob. For my current ride (05 Durango) I planned on lowering it since it sees more pavement than anything really and that is easy, just swap out the stock rear springs for 3" drop springs and loosen the torsion bars. Lifting, especially on these Jeeps, takes a few more parts and know how to do so. I didn't want to be that guy that basically needed to be spoon fed everything but it's seeming more and more like that. I have been reading other threads though so I suppose I'm learning. I'd rather just do this right once instead of get it wrong and break something. So thanks for any help and suggestions!

·
Super Moderator
14,554 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That thread REALLY helped Pressurized, most likely going to go that route.
Kjeeper, that thread is one I've also been looking at lately too, been a great help as well.

Still trying to find the right size tires I wanna go with. The size converter I'm using may just be weird (Crawlpedia, layout is nice and simple).

Still having issues finding a good All-Terrain tire that would give me the stance I want. Right now I'm looking at BF A/T 275/70/R18's. But, a 2 inch lift would allow up to a 35 right? I'd like A/Ts but I may be able to get a good deal on Nitto Trail Grappler M/Ts that are 285/75/R18 or 295/70/R18 if I can't find good A/Ts that don't have a wide sort of stance.

·
Registered
5,701 Posts
Unless you are planning to stay on the pavement you are better off with a smaller rim than 18". The Sahara comes with 18" stock rims and many owners replace them for various reasons including: limited availability of tires and rims in that size, higher cost of tires in that size, more exposure to rim damage and higher weight.

The Nittos are heavy. There are a lot better choices in the AT category including: Duratrac (highly rated), KO2, ST Maxx, ATZ P3 and Fun Country.

·
Super Moderator
14,554 Posts
Unless you are planning to stay on the pavement you are better off with a smaller rim than 18". The Sahara comes with 18" stock rims and many owners replace them for various reasons including: limited availability of tires and rims in that size, higher cost of tires in that size, more exposure to rim damage and higher weight.

The Nittos are heavy. There are a lot better choices in the AT category including: Duratrac (highly rated), KO2, ST Maxx, ATZ P3 and Fun Country.
Agree, I'm putting 17's on and replacing my 18's this month. I'm planning for either 305/70-17 or 295/70-17. I'll decide once I get a measurement of actual lift. (garage height issue) The 305's are true 34's and only 1/2" smaller than the 315's. Leaning towards the 295 S/T Maxx's.

·
Super Moderator
14,554 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mid Missouri doesn't have many places to off road unless I were to find the land owner and get consent. Most of which would be trails or my own back yard. 18's are just a little flashier too so I'd make a bit more sense. I hate having a vehicle that'll mostly be a pavement princess but I could make her look good doing it at least.

It currently has a slightly larger than stock BF KO2 265/70/R17 on the stock wheels (except spare, basically new BF M/T stock size that was used once for less than 8 miles.) Pretty sure the KO2's have about 40k miles on them. They look newish but you can see treadwear.

·
Super Moderator
14,554 Posts
That thread REALLY helped Pressurized, most likely going to go that route.
Kjeeper, that thread is one I've also been looking at lately too, been a great help as well.

Still trying to find the right size tires I wanna go with. The size converter I'm using may just be weird (Crawlpedia, layout is nice and simple).

Still having issues finding a good All-Terrain tire that would give me the stance I want. Right now I'm looking at BF A/T 275/70/R18's. But, a 2 inch lift would allow up to a 35 right? I'd like A/Ts but I may be able to get a good deal on Nitto Trail Grappler M/Ts that are 285/75/R18 or 295/70/R18 if I can't find good A/Ts that don't have a wide sort of stance.
The TF 2.5 would look awesome with a 295/70-18. The really fantastic Toyo ATII is available in that size too.

Custom rims, wheel tire packages for your ride - RIMSnTIRES.com

That's what I use.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Mounted on wheels or the vehicle?

Wouldn't it make more sense that if the tire was mounted on the wheel and aired up it would measure bigger?

Just to clarify too, 2.5" of lift will would let me fit 35's correct?

·
Super Moderator
53,758 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I guess that makes sense since the tires would flatten at the bottom against pavement or dirt from the vehicle weight. Awesome, might go with 35's then. Make 18's look a bit better.

Taken a look at those Toyo's Pressurized mentioned as well as Nitto Terra Grapplers, Copper Discoverers, and Duratracs.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts