Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats everyones advice and help on doing a 4.0 swap out of a 99 xj into my 93 wrangler 2.5? The whole nine yards tranny transfer case and all. I need some input and the things i need to do. Thanks

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Are both your YJ and the XJ Auto or Manual?

Yes, you'll probably want to move over the engine/transm/transfer case from the XJ to your YJ.

Here's a good thread for some background info:

Leans’ 4.0L swap is complete with pics! - JeepForum.com

And another:

Sawp 99 TJ 4.0 OBD2 into 94 XJ OBD1

I just did a similar swap, but I pieced my swap together from found parts, not a single donor. A single donor is a good way to go.

You'll love the extra power. It's expensive and a pain, but worth it.

You will either have to find an OBD1 ECU out of a 4.0L YJ (recommended) or you will have to try to use the XJ OBD2 ECU and wiring harness (probably more difficult). If you try to use the XJ ECU, then getting your gauges working and the rest of your wiring completed will probably be a very very big job.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My yj now is manual but the xj is auto. I was going to swap over the auto also complete power train out the xj to my yj. I was hoping to use the obd2 xj computer...

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
My yj now is manual but the xj is auto. I was going to swap over the auto also complete power train out the xj to my yj. I was hoping to use the obd2 xj computer...
Switching to OBD2 - That's beyond my experience - someone else will have to chime in. Anything is possible, of course, but I think you're choosing the tougher road.

I imagine that you'll also need a donor YJ for the auto shifter parts, etc. again, someone else will have better experience than me.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts