Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey There,
Comparing a 1998 wrangler se no AC 2.5 5 speed hard top with stock or possibly 1 size up tires. 114,000 miles very nice condition with half doors
No soft top but some homemade bimini included, Possibly never off roaded frame is excellant Will need tires soon
$5700

to a
1999 Wrangler sport with AC ( may not work) 4.0 5 speed with hard top and used soft top full size doors 31x10.5 bfg at tires cruise AC, tow package 119,000 miles Dent on center skip plate, dented gas tank, leaking steering box or PS pump leaking rear diff most likely has seen some off roading. $5500

our purposes will be light summer use, pasture driving, teaching manual trans to wife/daughter as well as vehicle for teen daughter to drive No over size tires or lift.

I just cant get over how weak all the 2.5's I have driven are. The 4.0l seemed like driving a regular vehicle power wise
Is is just I need to get used too the 2.5 low power?

The 2.5 is the nicer vehicle very clean inside ans out but complete base model....dented hood may have been stood on

4.0 Sport has more options but also some issues... very dirty inside som paint issues 3 speed on fan doesnt work, Ign switch intermittant

is there a mpg difference between these too?

BASE MODEL or Optioned Sport???????

·
Registered
755 Posts
While i love my 4.0, for what you want i would probably take the 2.5. It sounds like you wont have to fix much of anything on it unlike the Sport. Lots of guys run the 2.5 and love it. And it will keep your daughter from driving too fast;)

·
Registered
980 Posts
I drive a 2.5 and got a ticket for going 22 over. It won't hold her back. If its driven on road trips i would suggest the 4L. The 2.5 really drags high speed.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Just fix the leaks and get a hood vent to erase the damage to the hood. The AC alone is worth getting it over the 2.5. I die in the summertime without. About the skid dent, hopefully you'll put plenty more in it.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Used to have a 1999 2.5L, loved it but they are dogs for power and get up. Currently own a 2005 willys edition, 4.0L is best engine jeep made. Spring for the 4.0.

·
Premium Member
1,918 Posts
Ok. So the 1999 may be a little rougher on the outside, and underneath, but in the long run you'll appreciate the 4.0, and the A/C, when it comes down to "Where the rubber meets the road."

·
Registered
183 Posts
I just got a 98 SE and the 4 cyl isnt that bad. I have had 4 cyl trucks in the past (Ford Ranger and a Toyota). Both where 4 wheel drive with 4 bangers and I was kinda surprised that the 2.5 wasnt more of a dog. But if everything was equal I would prob grab a 4.0. As a side note I did get 19 mpg on my 1st tank of city driving.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks eveyone I think I am leaning 4.0 as I hate underpowered vehicles...Seems I drive them harder just trying to do normal stuff because I am impatient...Daughter is the same way......but man that 2.5 is one nice stock wrangler

·
Registered
294 Posts
I have the 2.5 5 speed. Ya for the hwy I would rather the 4.0 but I really lime my 4cyl around town and in the woods. Sat was my first trip in the woods and the 4wd is awesome and the 2.5 did a great job. I'm not looking to lift it big with 35's maybe some 31's and alittle lift. But if your gonna lift it and put big tires on get the 4.0.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I recently bought a 2.5. I read all about how the 4.0 was a superior engine, but in the end I went ahead and pulled the trigger on my jeep and couldn't be happier. Maybe I'm just not used to the 4.0, but I don't lack for hwy power from what I can tell. If I want to go 65 or higher, it pulls right up without seeming to try too hard. Of course, my prior vehicle was a 1990 Honda Civic with 190k miles, tranny problems, and didn't like to go faster than 40, so.......

I've talked to a lot of 2.5 owners and even some technicians, and many people tell me that while the 4.0 has a larger following and a reputation for being bulletproof, the 2.5 isn't a bad engine. It won't help you much if you get a jeep with a great engine but then have to fix everything else on it, especially if you're not planning on doing a whole lot of off roading. Whichever you decide though, I'm sure you'll be happy and here's a future congrats on the purchase!!

·
Registered
68 Posts
I was kinda in the same boat. Looked for a 4.0 when buying, but my jeep came up and was only the 2.5. But the jeep was so clean and low mileage that I couldn't pass it up. I had owned a 2.5 YJ years ago so I knew what I was getting. I am plenty happy with the 4 banger. I agree with a previous poster - we 2.5 owners are under represented. I wonder what percentage of jeeps sold were the 4 versus 6 cylinders?

·
Registered
8,402 Posts
I bought the 2.5L for two reasons...

• 1) Reliability - fewer known issues than the 4.0L. (flame suit on :D)
  • 2) Apples to Apples condition, typically ~$2000 less - If I am planning for a future v8 conversion, why spend the extra $2000 on a motor that will be pulled out?

·
Premium Member
8,897 Posts
I have had both a 2.5 and now a 4.0. I am going to say that my 2.5 YJ base was really clean and drove sweet. I never found myself not able to keep up with traffic. What I missed the most was the amenities. I wanted my A/C and Power steering. Thats why I sold the 2.5 and bought the 4.0 not for power but for comfort.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Holy crap those are cheap.. I say get the 4.0. Having some power can help get you out of a bad situation better.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I drive a 97 with the 2.5 and 5 speed. Its been regeared to 4.88's and has 265/75r15's and drives very well. For anything under 55mph, she'll do what you want. My current setup allows me to use 5th gear with relative ease. Passing someone is a bit of a challenge though.

With that said, I still wish we'd bought the 4.0.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Both engines are reliable and both under powered but do well offroad.

I can't say my 4.0 is brag worthy performance wise but ease of maintenance is worth noting.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts