Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 93 YJ with 4.0. I'm looking at adding a 95 YJ to my collection but it has a 2.5. I have never driven a 4 banger, so I was wondering how much of a difference I'm going to notice between the 2? Both are going to be daily drivers, light trail raiding, nothing extreme. I guess I should just drive the 2.5 to see, I was just wondering what I could expect.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
I went from a 4.0 to a 2.5. There definitely is a difference but not all that bad, it depends on how big the tires are also. I got 33's with the 4 banger and obviously you gotta downshift on hills.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
I've had both in manual YJ's. Though it was several years apart.

Both are do able. I had 31's on my 4 banger and we wheeled pretty good. Never felt like it was under powered.

That being said, the 4.0 is better, more valuable and doesn't take much of an MPG hit. You'll have power in reserve.

If it's going to be a local run about and weekender trail jeep, I'd consider either engine. If you have some kind of mast build plan, I'd hold out for a 4.0.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I've had 4.0 and 2.5 manual TJs. I did not rock crawl, just drove at the Cliffs and Badlands. Loved them both. Had 33s on the 2.5, didn't use 5th gear so much, and yes, downshift on hills. It was great off road, the T Case ratio and the 4.11 gears provided lots of torque. Never lacked for power, went where the bigger engine rigs went. On 31s it felt stock. Never went bigger than 31s on the 4.0 so can't compare apples to apples. It had 3.73 gears. I personally would not hesitate to get a 4 popper again, and they might be gotten for less because they are less in demand.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
I personally wouldn't buy a 2.5L unless I was planning to do an immediate engine swap...

There are a TON of people doing 2.5L to V8 swaps, 2.5L to 4.0L swaps, 2.5L to 4BT swaps, etc.

No one is swapping IN a 2.5L engine...that should tell you all you need to know...

·
Registered
158 Posts
I personally wouldn't buy a 2.5L unless I was planning to do an immediate engine swap...

There are a TON of people doing 2.5L to V8 swaps, 2.5L to 4.0L swaps, 2.5L to 4BT swaps, etc.

No one is swapping IN a 2.5L engine...that should tell you all you need to know...
My 2.5 is tired due to lack of maintenance by the po. I would love to swap in a fresh 2.5...

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
I personally wouldn't buy a 2.5L unless I was planning to do an immediate engine swap... There are a TON of people doing 2.5L to V8 swaps, 2.5L to 4.0L swaps, 2.5L to 4BT swaps, etc. No one is swapping IN a 2.5L engine...that should tell you all you need to know...
That's just bad logic.

I'll bet there are WAY more 2.5's running around than there are 2.5's that have been swapped out.

Sure - if your planning a swap look at a wrangler with a 2.5 because they can be had a little cheaper. And sure - if your project involves an engine swap, the 2.5 doesn't really make sense.

Still - that doesn't equate to 2.5's being useless engines that should be discarded. Truth is a YJ with a 2.5 is very driveable.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I've had a 2.5 since 95 and went from stock tires to 30's and now 33's. With the 33's there is a big dip in power in 5th but 1st through 4th are great and still a lot of power. Wheeling is still good and I run a 4" lift as well. Love my 2.5 and never really need to drive fast anyways. I still have the original 4.11 gearing in the doffs and can get up to 65-70 on the fwy. If you drive mountain roads frequently the 4.0 would be better, but the 4 cylinder does very well.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys. The 4 banger will be for the kid. He's got a year or 2 before driving, but I was planning on getting it as a project. He will take better care of it if he has to build it himself and work for the money to buy the parts. I was just wondering about the power difference

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Thanks guys. The 4 banger will be for the kid. He's got a year or 2 before driving, but I was planning on getting it as a project. He will take better care of it if he has to build it himself and work for the money to buy the parts. I was just wondering about the power difference
Perfect.

I put my kids in old jeeps when they started driving. 1988 XJ and a 1992 YJ.

Your boy won't know the difference between the 2.5 and 4.0. Also - many of the reports regarding lack of power from the 2.5 involve tire upgrades without regear. Same issues with the 4.0.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Our boy drives a 2.5... He is in love with this YJ and has no complaints (of course not knowing the difference helps a lot). As parents we feel really great about it just because it's not a power house but still very drivable on the highway. Feeling like there is less trouble to get into with the four cylinder.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Well, I'm it sure how much this will help, because everybody has already told you this, but... I started with a ford f150 6 banger. Not the fastest truck every, but I got around. I drove that for about 3 months, and then I found a yj 4 banger. My dad told me not to even go look at, because of the engine size, but I went anyway, and I saw no problem with the way it was power wise. I've been driving it for three weeks, and still have no power problems. The hills on the highway, aren't that bad, just get in the slow lane, and cruise at 65. I did drive my dad's 6 cyl tj, and I didn't like that it wasn't stick, but other than that there wasn't really a big difference on flat land.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Well, I'm it sure how much this will help, because everybody has already told you this, but... I started with a ford f150 6 banger. Not the fastest truck every, but I got around. I drove that for about 3 months, and then I found a yj 4 banger. My dad told me not to even go look at, because of the engine size, but I went anyway, and I saw no problem with the way it was power wise. I've been driving it for three weeks, and still have no power problems. The hills on the highway, aren't that bad, just get in the slow lane, and cruise at 65. I did drive my dad's 6 cyl tj, and I didn't like that it wasn't stick, but other than that there wasn't really a big difference on flat land.
Thumbs up, cruisin on the right :)

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Yeah, thats where most of the idiot drivers in my state are. I got the jeep past 70 today, today was a good day!

·
Registered
457 Posts
That's just bad logic.

I'll bet there are WAY more 2.5's running around than there are 2.5's that have been swapped out.

Sure - if your planning a swap look at a wrangler with a 2.5 because they can be had a little cheaper. And sure - if your project involves an engine swap, the 2.5 doesn't really make sense.

Still - that doesn't equate to 2.5's being useless engines that should be discarded. Truth is a YJ with a 2.5 is very driveable.
I agree. The 4 cyl is just fine. If it came with the Jeep, go with it. Why waste money on a bigger engine swap. Seems useless to me. Want a 6 cyl Jeep, buy one. Want lots of power, buy a Vette.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
All you guys who have 2.5l engines are vocal and "love" them - that's great. But it is underpowered for anything but a lightweight and stock YJ. Put a few miles on the 2.5, and it loses power. I wouldn't recommend that anyone buy one...

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
If I wanted I would find some duely truck or a sports car. Yours can I fast, mine can go anywhere.

·
Registered
100 Posts
All you guys who have 2.5l engines are vocal and "love" them - that's great. But it is underpowered for anything but a lightweight and stock YJ. Put a few miles on the 2.5, and it loses power. I wouldn't recommend that anyone buy one...
I have 217k on mine and still is great!!!

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have 217k on my 2.5 and still is great, have no issues with power loss. I guess just depends on how it's taken care of. I didn't know the difference when I bought it in95. I'm the original owner.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts