Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 89 YJ with the 4cyl. Engine. I am looking to put an after market carburetor on it and maybe at some point overhaul it. Why is it I can't find much about this engine? Is this engine not worth it and should just put the money into another engine. If so what would be the best engine for a daily driver?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Don't know if you knew it or not but a 89 yj has a TBI not a carb. I have a 4 banger in mine and mine is a 89 as well just and a engine totally rebuilt before summer. I like the 4 but next time I will go bigger. Not because of the engine but because my yj is not my dd and I like tinkering with it.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm not sure i know anything with this Jeep. My first Jeep was a 96 cherokee and loved it. Every other day with this one seems like i find something new or wrong. Don't get me wrong here. I love the Wrangler. But i can't seem to find any info for this engine. Any input would be appreciated.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I have the red factory service manuals. Makes life a whole lot easier! It's about 1000 pages long but has all there is to know in it. Might look on ebay for one?

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
What do you need to know about it? There's countless threads of information on it.

Also, like mentioned, it's already Fuel Injected. Wrangler 4 cylinder engines were never carbureted from the factory, they all came with Fuel Injection. 1987-1990 model YJ's came with a Throttle body Injected unit (or TBI) which is basically a throttle body with a big injector inside of it. It's kind of an electronic carburetor, all the while being infinitely better than a carburetor.

1991-1995 YJ's came with a Multi-Port Fuel Injection (MPFI) system that is a bit more reliable and just ever so slightly more powerful, but not worth upgrading to unless you want to do a lot of upgrades.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I guess that my ignorance is obvious. When working on a vehicle all i really know what to do is turn a wrench. Meanwhile I get to learn the hard way on what it is im working on.

When i first looked at it and it didnt seem to have a fuel rail from that point foward i just assumed that it was carbureted. My problem with it is that the oblong hose that runs from the air box to the throttle body is broke almost in half and i cant seem to find that anywhere. Not even from a local Chrysler dealer. So thats where the thought came up about just getting a new filter that sets on top of the carb (Which i could find). DUH! I guess i wasnt putting 2 and 2 together.

Does anyone know where i can find a new hose that runs between the air box and the throttle body?

·
Premium Member
546 Posts
You can make a "new hose" with PVC pipe. Connect it to the TBI with a silicon elbow that you can find on the internet or go with a K&N filter kit. It is not a big deal. The factory manual is your best bet or you can join ALLDATAdiy.com Leading Source of Factory Automotive Repair Information for about $30 a year and it provides all the jeep factory manuals and bulletins for your particular jeep.

Take care,

1 - 9 of 9 Posts