Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Recently purchased this 2.5l 1997 TJ with ax5 and 182k on it and am still trying to diagnose some issues.

Engine has a ticking noise, which can be heard in video. This noise gets louder upon accelerating. It is constant always there even when engine is hot or cold. Also it seems to go away when letting off the gas sometimes.

Second issue which can be seen in the video after hitting the throttle, is how the engine almost konks out after returning back to idle.

In the video you can really hear the tick im refering to after the idle issue is present around 30 seconds. It is making that noise the entire time, but the sound quality is not the greatest.

Thanks for any help!

Video Link: https://youtu.be/KsH9XNdrHK8

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
I would look for an exhaust manifold leak.

Clean your throttlebody and IAC sensor to stabilize the Idle.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I checked the manifold and as much as I could see I did not see any significant cracks. I also cleaned the throttle body and IAC. Has helped with the idle and made the jeep drive a little better.

I wanted to post up a different video to give an idea of what I am hearing while driving.

You can hear when I am hitting the gas and when I am not because the ticking noise stops.

SECOND VIDEO:

https://youtu.be/MwWZvK_3YVs

·
Registered
586 Posts
It really sounds like the timing chain. However, I believe the 2.5 has a timing chain tensioner to keep it from slapping around. You could give replacing lifters and timing chain a shot. Replacing lifters is much easier to do on a 2.5 than a 4.0. You can access the lifters without removing the head.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey so I was in a simalar situation similar noises after buying my first jeep a 97 jeep tj 2.5. Sound just like your first video about two weeks after I bought it. I research and tried it all timing chain, lifters, exhaust, everything. Ended up being that my water pump bearing was going out and then the water pump just went out. It's hard to tell but there probably is slight movement at your water pump pulley when running. The front of engine clanking, tapping makes you think it's the timing chain, trust me I tore it down. If you started ruling things out I'd head to the water pump, might be able to pop belt of and see if noise goes away or look up ways to check pump. Btw you need to change fan clutch and pump at same time or at least your supposed to. Let me know what it ends up being.

·
Registered
15,638 Posts
Not so good at Internet sounds but to me sounds like an exhaust leak maybe cracked exhaust manifold

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
UPDATE: it was exhaust manifold. Thank you everyone for the help. Cant believe that sound was from that. Sounds like butter now

1 - 7 of 7 Posts