Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

2.5L Exhaust Manifold Issues

21K views 18 replies 14 participants last post by  TJ4Jim 
#1 ·
I bought an aftermarket exhaust manifold at Advance Auto Parts, installed it and all was fine. Two weeks later the plug (bolt) above the joint to the exhaust backed out and it got really loud so I got them to givem me another one and put it in properly crushing the crush washer. Now two months later it sounds loud again. I checked the other plate that is removable and it is still there as is the plug. All engine bolts are properly tightened. I did use the new gasket and it was installed properly. What else could be going on here ? Could it have failed (cracked) already ?

Mark

#3 ·
Since May, I've installed 3 exhaust manifolds (all the same Dorman part) from AdvanceAuto, and all three of them have leaked after 1 week - 1 month whether it be from cracking or other problems. After arguing with them for a bit, I got them to return the item and just give me my money back. They claimed their lifetime warranty would replace them as I needed them, but had a hard time understanding I didn't want to make replacing the exhaust manifold a monthly job.

There aren't many options for the 2.5l, but I was able to find another brand on ebay:

Jeep CJ7 Wrangler Cherokee Dakota 2.5L Exhaust Manifold - eBay (item 130476519818 end time Aug-15-11 12:42:13 PDT)

It's been working great for quite some time now, and it seems to be much better quality than the Dorman part you get from Advance/Autozone. The flat metal around the pipes is much wider, allowing for better contact and it seems to be made a little thicker/heavier duty.

#4 ·
I was afraid of that ...

Thanks for the information. I will certainly use the ebay link to the new part and then march into Advance with the bad one and demand a refund. The worst part is I just had a new exahust put in and new shocks with no other problems lurking and then this crops up.

#6 ·
I had a cracked manifold when I bought my TJ S.E. too. We tried installing one from Orilley, might have been a Dorman. It didnt fit properly. the Universal flange made contact with the block or somthing. We didnt like it, so it got returned. I ended up going to a bone yard and getting one for $50.00 and they picked the part for me. Its been fine ever since.

I'm told what can crack these things is Puddle Bashing.

#8 ·
I have had the problem with the same Dorman and the Omix-ADA manifolds. The problem is the EGR port with plate on the front of the manifold. It is hitting the rigid engine mount that attaches to then engine and the stress is causing the cracks. I just swapped mine the third time and had to seek an OEM used manifold that did not have that EGR plate on the front of the manifold. I got one from an 88 Cherokee with the 2.5. I will keep an extra around because the aftermarket manifolds just don't work. Please feel free to contact me regarding this @ kirbymnpd@aol.com if you are having the same cracking issue. I will be glad to walk you through finding where the problem is for yourself and show you what mine did. No one makes aftermarket manifolds that don't have the EGR port. Your only two options are a header or a used OEM part.

#9 ·
I had the same problem with my 2000 had it since 08 I bet i changed the manifold 12 times but in 2015 I found a really cheap stainless steel header on amazon for 70 bucks new it doesn't have a manufacturer brand or anything but man it gave that little 4bannger some extra pep wich was nice I had stock exhaust except the series 10 Flowmaster wich sound great for just a muffler but with the header this thing sounds like a built v8 under the hood especially at idle it has a real deep rumble all my jeep buddies love it

#11 ·
I had the same problem with my 2000 had it since 08 I bet i changed the manifold 12 times but in 2015 I found a really cheap stainless steel header on amazon for 70 bucks new it doesn't have a manufacturer brand or anything
So this header has been installed since 2015 and has not cracked? I have lived with a cracked manifold forever (2000 2.5 tj owned since 2001) and have replaced every 2 years to smog my jeep.

Do you have a link for this stainless steel header?

#15 ·
You should have the o2 sensor bung in the header pipe that bolts to the exhaust manifold. If not then you would have to add a bung in order to use that header in the state of California.

Not a fan of cheap eBay car parts myself, why not get a aftermarket direct bolt on exhaust manifold like the one 1A auto sells?
https://www.1aauto.com/exhaust-manifold/i/1aeem00026?f=745544&y=1998

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.