Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
got a 99 2.5l that had a broken skirt. rebuild it and was running ok. but recently it has a rough idle and when stopping it idle down to 400 then comes back up to idle. motor shakes alittle. no codes on obII. I know its a 2.5 but I thought it would have a little more power being stock at this point. I bought it with bad motor off a friend so I know issues are coming after rebuild. any clues? I know these issues are a pain to find, but looking to see if anyone else had this issue

·
Registered
5,291 Posts
My 2.5 shakes too (40k on the rebuild) the original engine did too(I've owned it since 100k replaced the engine @ 215k... from my understanding the 2.5 produces more vibrations than it bigger 4.0

·
Registered
881 Posts
they do have more vibration at idle than a 4.0, but the rpm's should hold steady. I would try cleaning the IAC and throttle body, or better yet buy a cheap 4.0 throttle body off of Ebay and swap it in. Switch over the 2.5 sensors (and the IAC housing) and you should have a smoother running engine with possibly a little more power. Sell the sensors off of the 4.0 and you might come out ahead!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts