Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I had a 90 YJ and unfortunatley (and stupidly on my part) I sold it for health reasons. I hated doing it and now I have decided to get another.

My question is this: how much of a difference will a 2.5L engine make if that is the Jeep that I decide on. I have been looking and a lot of them on the market in my area are the 4 cylinder. How much difference on-road? Off-road?

Thanks for your answers and opinions. Would really like to hear from some people that have the 2.5L 4cyl engine and how much it slows them down.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Well,
a couple months ago I sold my Cherokee w/ 4.0 and bought my YJ with 2.5. Gotta say the 4.0 was a strong running six! Lots of power. But, I have no complaints with my 2.5. I just figure if I need to pull stumps I will just put her in 4L. I do like the extra room under the hood too. So, if you find a good runnin 2.5, I would not hesitate.
Just my .02

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have owned five wranglers. Two with the 4 and three with the six. Dont hesitate. Nothing wrong with the 4 cyl.

·
Registered
853 Posts
i don't :D for the type of driving I do it's perfect. I know - there is no replacement for displacement but if I decide to go balls out crazy I have a 955i sport bike or a dirt bike. Other than that I believe that those who have 6 wish they had 8, so you see where I'm going with it.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
The answer is always gonna be the 4.0L. It's hands down a better engine. It's not really an argument.

What I would ask yourself is what kind driving will you be doing? The 2.5L is pathetic past 65 mph. On the trail, the 2.5L can easily hold it's own if geared properly.

It's really up to you. If you wanna save some cash up front, buy a 2.5L. If you're looking to do a lot of modding, buy the 4.0L.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the input all. I do mostly in town driving. Every once in awhile I have to drive at highway speeds, but that is very rare. I am just wondering how it will affect me on the trail?

·
Registered
853 Posts
afrats said:
Thanks for the input all. I do mostly in town driving. Every once in awhile I have to drive at highway speeds, but that is very rare. I am just wondering how it will affect me on the trail?
I believe I saw it in one of the threads here - you can run 31's without re-gearing, otherwise you have to go up the numbers to have it adequately set. Anyone is welcome to correct me if my memory is failing me (at least I'll know it's coming :D)

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
I like my 4 cyl as you do, I also do most of my driving in town or on hilly curvy roads so no big deal. Offroad I can keep up with anyone and ahead of most. As far as gearing goes the 410 it comes with is great. And I'm running Pro Comp 32x11.50x15's.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
I believe I saw it in one of the threads here - you can run 31's without re-gearing, otherwise you have to go up the numbers to have it adequately set. Anyone is welcome to correct me if my memory is failing me (at least I'll know it's coming :D)
To maintain power with 33x12.5's it's ideal to go 4.56. To be honest, 4.10 isn't gonna kill you. It won't hurt you to bad. I'm buying 33x10.5s because they are cheaper, better in snow, and less strain on the engine.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I've got the 2.5 engine in my yj. have 33x12,5 tires ,4.11 gear ratio. on the interstate 55 mph was about all I could get with those size tires,got 18 miles to the gallon. Ok, it's a dog on the highway,but on the trails no problem,can go any where anybody else can.Anyway jeeps wernt made for speed,just slow and easy,and a lot of fun.

·
Registered
32 Posts
2 yj's 92 and 93, both 2.5 liter, stock gearing, 32/11.50/15, 1 lifted 4" the other stock height both get about 19-21 mpg, third gear @ 3300rpm gets you about 55mph up any highway grade. My 93 has over 200000 miles on it and still runs/drives perfect.

I wouldnt hesitate on the 2.5

·
Registered
3 Posts
i have a 2.5L wrangler. i used to have a 4.0L. the 2.5 gets way better gas milage. but does has less power. both wranglers were YJ's with 4 inch lift and 2 inch shackles. sitting on 32's the problem with the 4.0 is that it is geared so tall i couldn use 5th gear. i would be doing 60 in fourth gear. my 2.5 i have now is a good engine. i can haul trailers doing bout 50mph. bout 65mph topped out with no load. i personally like the 2.5 more cause of the lower gearing. and i get about 17mpg

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have a 95 YJ with the 2.5 and 31's on it. Its fine for driving around town and has plenty of torque for trailing. I've even gotten through bogs my buddies in big V8's have had trouble with, with less trouble. On the downside interstate and highway travel is rough, topping out at 75mph and taking awhile to get there. So unless you have a lot of highway miles to put on it there is nothing wrong with the 2.5. Plus you can always do a conversion when time and money allows. Mods are half the fun of having a Jeep.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts