Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I recently replaced my leaking valve cover gasket. While taking the bolts out of the valve cover I noticed they were very loose to begin with. I mean extremely loose as in I could back out the screws with my fingers. So could I have just simply tightened them am not replaced the gasket itself?

·
Registered
5,291 Posts
Probably could have...
When I replaced my engine about 1k mile in I noticed an oil leak running down the back of the oil pan. Turns out the valve cover had loosened up, I snugged it back down and have been leak free ever since.

·
Registered
207 Posts
There is no gasket if you never replaced it with one. There is only a thick bead of RTV from the factory. Mine was hand loose also. I installed a FelPro rubber valve cover gasket that can be reused. No more leaks. I think it was about $25?

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
the bolts up there loosen up from time to time. it happens, if you used a cork gasket to replace it you cant really tighten them up to fix the leak. I always use rubber when possible. also some people use locktite on the bolts, personally I hate locktite and never recommend it for anything but a kids arts and crafts project that you want to make permanent.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
autopc25 said:
There is no gasket if you never replaced it with one. There is only a thick bead of RTV from the factory. Mine was hand loose also. I installed a FelPro rubber valve cover gasket that can be reused. No more leaks. I think it was about $25?
The felpro gasket is actually what I replaced it with. If the bolts loosen up in the future I may try the loctite formula for bolts that allow them to be removed. However, I'm not sure if loctite will work under those temps.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts