Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here's my story (abbreviated)

I bought my 2010 a year ago from a local Jeep dealership. The window sticker said it has the 3.21 gears, which was fine with me at the time. Well, fast forward today to when I'm actually underneath the Jeep because my CEL "gascap" light came on. While I'm under there I happen to look up and see a plate that says "NEW PROCESS GEAR, SYRACUSE, N.Y." So I'm reading this and under ratio is says "2.72"

Does that mean it's a 2.72 not a 3.21?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Nevermind, google taught me the answer.

·
Registered
546 Posts
i think you were looking at your transfer case?? the differentials are made by Dana not New process..Tcases are New process
Cameron

·
Premium Member
5,715 Posts
Just to clarify:

rear end (differential) can be
4.10 (rubicon 6-speed)
3.73 (Willys Wrangler; optional on all others, including rubicon automatic, iirc)
3.21 (standard on S, Sahara, most "editions."

Transfer case 4Lo:
4.0:1 (Rubicon)
2.72:1 (all others, to my knowledge. No options.)

First gear:
4.46:1 (all Wranglers)

To get your crawl ratio multiply all three numbers together. IIRC, Rubis are about 73, Willys is 45, standard other models about 38.

A "Low crawl ratio" is actually the higher number.

I am not certain of this, but I believe it is true that if you have for instance a 70 crawl ratio in a Wrangler, you would be going half as fast at a given engine RPM as a Wrangler with a 35 ratio and the same engine.

·
Registered
10,419 Posts
Just to clarify:

rear end (differential) can be
4.10 (rubicon 6-speed)
3.73 (Willys Wrangler; optional on all others, including rubicon automatic, iirc)
3.21 (standard on S, Sahara, most "editions."
4.10 are optional on the Rubicon automatic.
3.73 are standard on the Rubicon automatic.

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
4.10 are optional on the Rubicon automatic.
3.73 are standard on the Rubicon automatic.
Correct for newer JK's. In 2010 all Rubicons had 4.10's as standard. However, the OP doesn't have a Rubicon so this is only info. for model year 2010.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the info guys! Google is good, y'all are better

·
Premium Member
5,715 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts