Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys pretty soon I'm gonna be dropping my 4" suspension lift in favor of a 2"BB with 1"BL. My question is how will this affect my sye? I've got rear upper adjustable control arms already will that give me enough pinion adjustment or will I need lower adjustables as well? Thanks!

·
Knows a couple things...
49,391 Posts
Hey guys pretty soon I'm gonna be dropping my 4" suspension lift in favor of a 2"BB with 1"BL. My question is how will this affect my sye? I've got rear upper adjustable control arms already will that give me enough pinion adjustment or will I need lower adjustables as well? Thanks!
Shortening the upper arms will lower the pinion angle enough to compensate for the reduced lift height. Doing so will also move the axle slightly forward, shortening your wheelbase just a tad. Probably no big deal but ideally it'd be nice to keep the rear axle where it is which would require the addition of adjustable length lower arms. They aren't specifically required but it'd be nice to have adjustable uppers and lowers to keep the wheelbase as it is when you'd otherwise be shortening the wheelbase by just adjusting the uppers. :)

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
You will have to drop your pinion angle, but a lot depends on where your uppers are at now, and how much adjustment is in them. Are you running stock lower ca's or are they longer after market ones that came with a lift?

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
So let me get this right. You are basically taking the springs out of a 4" lift kit and going to stock springs with 2" spacers? I didn't even think about longer than stock lower control arms.

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
So let me get this right. You are basically taking the springs out of a 4" lift kit and going to stock springs with 2" spacers? I didn't even think about longer than stock lower control arms.
The op has an sye installed with his 4" lift which requires the pinion angle to be pointed directly at the t-case. That requires adjustable upper control arms to accomplish that. Also, most 4" suspension lifts come with longer lower control arms.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
The op has an sye installed with his 4" lift which requires the pinion angle to be pointed directly at the t-case. That requires adjustable upper control arms to accomplish that. Also, most 4" suspension lifts come with longer lower control arms.
That's what I was thinking. I didn't even think about the control arms. The OP may actually be better off running a tummy tuck just to keep everything more in line with the way the lift kit was originally designed to work.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guy I might go ahead and invest in some lower adjustables. I'm currently riding on stock rear CA with longer fixed front CA. And a tummy tuck was exactly what I was thinking but that is gonna be a little further down the road. Just wanna get some stability back into the ride for now

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
I do have to say of all the threads that repeatedly posted over and over and over in the 5 years I have been on here...this is a scenario I have not seen on here before.

So I have to ask out of curiosity, why not consider 3" quality springs (or even 2" springs) with the 1" BL?

:beerdrinking:

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I do have to say of all the threads that repeatedly posted over and over and over in the 5 years I have been on here...this is a scenario I have not seen on here before. So I have to ask out of curiosity, why not consider 3" quality springs (or even 2" springs) with the 1" BL? :beerdrinking:
because college is expensive lol. I'm getting the factory coils and 2" BB for $25 so the most expensive thing here is gonna be sway bar disconnects and maybe rear lower CA. My rancho 9000s are for a 2-4" lift so my shocks should be fine still.

·
Registered
15,661 Posts
When I got my rancho 9000 shocks options were

999239/999241 for 2.5-3 inch lift

999255/000256 for 4-5 inch lift

Did not see an option for 2-4" lift

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
because college is expensive lol. I'm getting the factory coils and 2" BB for $25 so the most expensive thing here is gonna be sway bar disconnects and maybe rear lower CA. My rancho 9000s are for a 2-4" lift so my shocks should be fine still.
If I were on a budget I would just buy 2 cheap stock sway bar links and use them. I just had to buy 1 stock replacement. It was $19.99. All you have to do is remove 2 bolts to disconnect. That is a pretty big savings over disconnects.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
When I got my rancho 9000 shocks options were 999239/999241 for 2.5-3 inch lift 999255/000256 for 4-5 inch lift Did not see an option for 2-4" lift
when I originally got them I was seeing a lot of discrepancy online. For RS999256 online was saying 2-4 or 2.5-3.5. On oreilleys system(where I work) it says for 2.5-3.5. Will that half an inch be a huge deal? If so I can just warranty out my existing shocks for the correct ones no problem

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
Thanks guy I might go ahead and invest in some lower adjustables.
Currie Lower Adjustables are $389. For the same price you can just get quality 3" Springs instead and not have to have crazy long bumpstops. Just a thought. :)

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Currie Lower Adjustables are $389. For the same price you can just get quality 3" Springs instead and not have to have crazy long bumpstops. Just a thought. :)
I'm kinda looking at those right now. I'm digging the rancho 3" coils a lot since itd go with my red jeep. I'll do some more thinking and number crunching and decide what I think will be best, thanks again all!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts