Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of January's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This thread will track the sub-project for folding seats, which is part of my larger plan to make camping in my 2door more feasible.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
I have had 3 jeeps, all of them 2 door jeeps. I like the 4 doors too; but have never owned one. I envy the ability of the 4 door owners to be able to drop the rear seats and throw in a mattress. I can’t do that. Add to that; I am well over 6’ tall, so a 2 door is tight no matter how you slice it.

I have seen several people come up with sleeping platforms for their 2 door jeeps, and some have gone as far as removing the front passenger seat and bench seat to install a flat sleeping platform. I considered that, but my general needs prevented it. I have 2 kids who ride with me, and when I take them camping I need a place for them to sit. So what to do?

I could put on a roof-top tent, but I just don’t want to. Some of it is aesthetics, some is preference, but in the end I have decided to go a different route.

Years ago I used to drive a Volvo XC90..... It had 3rd row passenger seats that folded down completely flat. Flush so that if you didnt’ know it, you would not be able to tell there were seats back there. The whole package is about 5 inches tall when they are fully folded down.

Also, on the Volvo, it had a middle row of seats that did the same, both sides folded flat. Headrests dropped and the seat locked down into a folded positon.

I think you can see where I am going with this...

·
Registered
44 Posts
This is the front passenger seat frame while doing my test-fit. I needed to make sure it could slide forward enough so the rear passenger area was still accessible.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
12,153 Posts
I am 6’ tall and I barely fit diagonally across the back of a JKU with the rear seat folded down. I can’t imagine trying to sleep in a 2 door.

FWIW, I got this sleeping pad: https://www.altitudejeep.com/products/nitepad-premium-portable-sleeping-pad-cushion?variant=31773709571&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=Google%20Shopping&gclid=CjwKCAiAqaTjBRAdEiwAOdx9xv1XMLe5mTYIPqr8GNVTMED5EMshGFaD8N729dcIv7DPFHDBSOiTxhoCAPgQAvD_BwE.

It is custom fit for a JK 4-door. It helps create an even floor, particularly between the rear seat and the cargo area, and to cover the wide gap against the back of the front seats.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
1,505 Posts
Great idea! If you can’t get the Volvo seat to work, Tiguan front seats also fold flat. In the SE, the front to back movement is manual.

Reactions: Mudman1

·
Registered
44 Posts
Today I got the front seats in.

Still have yet to install a headrest in the passenger front (I need a replacement for the one I had since I broke it taking it apart)

I will also be replacing the carpeting on the back for a flat deck (maybe anodized diamond plate or perhaps some other flooring type material) so for now I just have the harnesses running from inside the headrest, but that will not be the final postion once I get the back plate done. I will have some belt guides at shoulder width at the top of the seat.

Thankfully Volvo made these seats very strong, so I see no issue with the frame of the seat not holding up during a crash. (I will also be doing a new roll cage as part of this project)

Thé rear seats are still a work in progress.

I have to get the quick disconnect for the steering wheel and the new steering wheel itself, so the front drivers seat can’t completely collapse yet, but it will.

I also have to make some trim for the back of the seat rails since they are sharp and I dont want my kids getting scraped trying to get in and out of the jeep.

Attachments

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am 6’ tall and I barely fit diagonally across the back of a JKU with the rear seat folded down. I can’t imagine trying to sleep in a 2 door.

FWIW, I got this sleeping pad: https://www.altitudejeep.com/products/nitepad-premium-portable-sleeping-pad-cushion?variant=31773709571&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=Google%20Shopping&gclid=CjwKCAiAqaTjBRAdEiwAOdx9xv1XMLe5mTYIPqr8GNVTMED5EMshGFaD8N729dcIv7DPFHDBSOiTxhoCAPgQAvD_BwE.

It is custom fit for a JK 4-door. It helps create an even floor, particularly between the rear seat and the cargo area, and to cover the wide gap against the back of the front seats.

Good luck!
I would do exactly that if I had a 4 door. I have a 2 door just because I like them, but the 4 door wins hands down for room and storage. I have to come up with creative solutions to overcome its size. I measure 78 inches from the back of the dash where the collapsed seat meets the dash, and the tailgate.

I did a test lie down to see if I could fit with all the seats out and some stuff packed in to make it mostly flat, and I fit with just enough room, in most cases I will only be sleeping in it myself, so I may only need the passenger seat to be flat, and one side of the rear.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Good day. I have been looking at over coming the same issue that you are working through. The ability to sleep in side of a two door jk. I love the fold down front seat. Idea. How is it working for you and what seat did you use for the front as a starting off point. They look like they fit inside the jk quite well. I am also guessing you had to fabricate a conversation plate to attach the new seat to the floor of the Jeep.

My setup is a little easier as I don't need to have a back seat in the Jeep and I have a platform for my dog in the back. I'm working on having a fold down section that covers the space left open when the seats slide forward and I for the most part have enough room at that point but would like to squeeze out ever last inch I can.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Good day. I have been looking at over coming the same issue that you are working through. The ability to sleep in side of a two door jk. I love the fold down front seat. Idea. How is it working for you and what seat did you use for the front as a starting off point. They look like they fit inside the jk quite well. I am also guessing you had to fabricate a conversation plate to attach the new seat to the floor of the Jeep.

My setup is a little easier as I don't need to have a back seat in the Jeep and I have a platform for my dog in the back. I'm working on having a fold down section that covers the space left open when the seats slide forward and I for the most part have enough room at that point but would like to squeeze out ever last inch I can.

Thanks in advance.
These seats all came from a 2005 Volvo XC90. I made some more progress over this last weekend. Photos to follow.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Rear seats now installed

A full Saturday of work resulted in the rear seats being installed. I used the attachment bar from the original rear seat for the front mounts. I cut it and integrated into the existing frame. This will allow this new seat assembly to be easily removed if I wish.
I didn’t use the original seat mounts in the rear of the seat( the ones recessed into the floor) I made brackets to bolt the seat and the side seatbelts down to the seatbelt bolts.
Since my kids ride back there I needed a very secure mount. So each weld was done with three beads. One to weld, and then cleaned up and a bead run on either side of that weld. I don’t want these to fail. I switched to harness belts mostly because I don’t want the shoulder belts hanging in the way when I have all seats down.

These even came with a small center console which I will add some USB charge ports to. ( much to the delight of my kids I am sure)

There are still some pieces I need to make for the rear ( transition panels which will allow the bottom cushion to be stored)
Then I go back to the front seats and make the back of the seat flat by replacing the carpeted back of the seats with some kind of plywood and flooring material.
I will also remove the carpeting. Progress!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
I also have spent many hours trying to figure out how to sleep in the 2 door. I have come to the conclusion that creating a sleeping area is doable. To me the goal is being able to get the jeep in "sleep mode" faster than it takes to set up these new quick tents.

However, creating a sleeping area along with storage for the other camping stuff is a different story. Yes I can sleep on a diagonal. Where does the ice chest go? Folding chairs? Access to recovery gear? Tools? Sleeping bag? Clothes? Etc... In your case being as you have to have the rear seats for kids, Are 3-4 of you sleeping in the jeep? How to protect the sleeping area from trail dust/mud? How to crawl in, preferably through the front passenger door, without tracking muddy shoes across the bed?

Looking forward to seeing your solutions.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
:welcome:
To me the goal is being able to get the jeep in "sleep mode" faster than it takes to set up these new quick tents.

However, creating a sleeping area along with storage for the other camping stuff is a different story. Yes I can sleep on a diagonal. Where does the ice chest go? Folding chairs? Access to recovery gear? Tools? Sleeping bag? Clothes? Etc... In your case being as you have to have the rear seats for kids, Are 3-4 of you sleeping in the jeep? How to protect the sleeping area from trail dust/mud? How to crawl in, preferably through the front passenger door, without tracking muddy shoes across the bed?

Looking forward to seeing your solutions.
Storage is always going to be an issue with a 2 door, there is simply a lack of storage space, and no amount of creativity will alleviate having to be more frugal with gear. I have some solutions to help, but getting a full kit for camping in my Jeep has always been difficult.

As it is now, I carry a CLAM 5 sided tent for the kids, some cots, and a hammock for myself. For food, I carry a small fridge, and some campfire cooking stuff, and a small camp stove. Usually a separate bag or box for food. ( we usually go camping for 2 nights) each of us brings a small backpack with clothes ect.)

One of the solutions will be to box in the wheel wells so they are flush with the top of the tub, (I will also move the speakers from the sport bar to the sides of the wheel wells) I plan to use the negative space to store cooking gear and food. I think I can get it all in there and no longer have to carry the cooking box and food box.

For sleeping, I hope to be able to move the fridge ( it is a small one) to a place above the rear gate when sleeping. ( I would have to build some sort of collapsible bracket)

The kids could sleep on the floor of the Jeep once it is completely flat. I plan to build panels to cover the gaps between seats so there is a flush surface.

For my sleeping arrangements, I will be building a new roll cage with a pop up canvas top. With a single side sleeping platform. Or possibly a sort of integrated and elevated cot. Of course I could also just sleep in the hammock.

I like the large 5 sided screen shelter that we use ( Clam Venture pop up tent),I have the wind panels, and a 10x12 tarp for the floor. I have thought about taking the door of the tent off, and when I build my new top for the Jeep, building a system where I can just zip the tent to the Jeep giving a bug-free zone that includes the Jeep itself. That way I could leave the tailgate open and have the back the Jeep basically inside the tent.
This would give us a place to store dirty boots ect.

Still working out the details.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Most of the time I camp in one of two situations. A wheeling spot where a tent works out well. The other is on the beach usually for just one night. This is where I am looking for a simple, no-hassle setup. It is also not uncommon for steady 20+mph winds all night on the beach. Currently the only solution I have without using a tent is sleeping in the passenger seat reclined. lol While not the most comfortable, it is not too bad for a night or two. I'll be following your build as it is always great to see other's ideas.

Reactions: Straypoet

·
Registered
44 Posts
Another full day of work brought me closer to my goal.
I bought a 4x8 sheet of 1/2" sanded birch hardwood plywood. Wow that stuff is expensive! sure makes you measure three times for every cut.

Though the 1/2" is very strong. I am happy with it for flooring material, it doesn't move at all.
I still have more work to do, there is still a panel that will go between the rear seats, and the panel at the rear. This panel will be hinged so that it moves up out of the way as the seat is pushed back.

I also have to put the tops on the wheel wells, I will make them hinged so I can get at the space on top of the wells for storage. plus a secret project that you will see eventually)

I also plan to make boxes that will fit the contour of the seats when up, so I have extra storage at the rear of the vehicle.

I am relocating my speakers from the sound-bar to the wheel well area behind the drivers seat. I will then remove the sound-bar. ( eventually as part of this project, I will be replacing the roll bars completely with a new design, so this is part of the larger goal)

It is coming together. I will be putting a place to charge USB devices inside the little cubby on the floor. as you can see, I made it accessible even with the seats down, and there is space for the wire to come out of the lid, so I can possibly put a 12v socket in there for my fridge.

What do you think so far?

All these wooden panels will be bedlined on bottom, and covered in EVA boat decking on top so they are totally weatherproof.

Attachments

·
Registered
44 Posts
I had a couple of hours to tinker with the project tonight, so I made these little spring loaded ‘transition panels’ that flip up out of the way when the seat is flipped up, and then back down into place for a smooth flat floor when the seat is dropped into place.

I got the roll of EVA Foam decking that I will use to cover the floor. I have included a photo of that from the seller page. I am hopeful it will be durable and effective as flooring and seat-back covering.

Attachments

·
Registered
44 Posts
I put down the EVA decking in rear and coated the plywood in bed liner.
Looking good. Next project: tear out front center console and re-build a single unit center console and seat mount brackets

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts