Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone built a stand/box to convert the rear seat into a "Love seat couch". I'm all about saving space and using one item for multiple things and since I took the seat out i would like to make it into a couch for my future apartment. I figured it's pretty easy as the seat is only connected to 4 spots in the back. Figured some U Bolts and a frame should do the trick just wondering if someone already did the write up for me :)

Was also thinking of making a cargo box using the same hardware as the rear seat to make it easy to secure in and take out.

Has anyone done any of this?

·
Registered
267 Posts
Don't know about the couch except just putting on the floor or porch - probably great for kids...

I'd be interested in anything about using the hardware hooks from the rear seat for cargo - I looked into ripping apart the seat to get at the hardware but it doesn't look easy.

If anyone knows of hooks or brackets that you can attach to plywood or 2x4s and use the existing rear seat stays, that would be great.

·
Registered
10,174 Posts
Do a search for "car furniture jeep" or "car furniture wrangler".

I did find this...

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Don't know about the couch except just putting on the floor or porch - probably great for kids...

I'd be interested in anything about using the hardware hooks from the rear seat for cargo - I looked into ripping apart the seat to get at the hardware but it doesn't look easy.

If anyone knows of hooks or brackets that you can attach to plywood or 2x4s and use the existing rear seat stays, that would be great.
I feel like with careful measurements you could get some beefy hoops from Home Depot or wherever and duplicate the mount on a box of wood.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I feel like with careful measurements you could get some beefy hoops from Home Depot or wherever and duplicate the mount on a box of wood.
That's what i was thinking. Some u bolts like this Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet mounted to a wood frame, just not sure if someone has already done this with a write up. I believe that the U bolts will have to be 2 different sizes in width. My friend has a slide caliper so ill use that when i have time to get down to his shop.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Found this diagram online http://imgur.com/HSofTaQ , i'm thinking of ordering the parts 8 and 12 and seeing if i can get it to work on a cargo box.

·
Registered
267 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
no problem ST, if you want to get really fancy you can get number 5 too for the half fold, but now we are getting crazy but i like crazy!

·
Registered
267 Posts
Right with ya on crazy - this site appears to have an updated pic and it looks pricey with what was part 8 is now an entire frame (probably why I bailed on ripping my new seat apart). Time to investigate and make some calls.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dame 200$ i might just sell my seat based on these prices, i could get like 10 grand!
Just kidding not really going to sell but prices are crazy!

·
Registered
121 Posts
We had a fab shop make a stainless steel insulated cooler with upholstered lid for our old CJ7. Worked great as a bench seat and a place for food and drinks

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
How would those parts work. # 8 and 12 are both already on the seat. The parts you need are on the Jeep body.
We are talking about 2 things here. One is making a box stand for the jeep rear seats to hook into like it does inside the jeep so you can use it like a couch in your house/garage. The other is making a cargo box that hooks in using the jeeps "u-Bolts" the part mounted on the body your referring to. If we used #8 and #12 and mounted to the box it be as easy as the seat to take out and put in and not have to worry about a box moving around in the back.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts