Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Always looking for a quick, easy camping setup and I came across this interesting concept for a sleeping platform for a JK 2 door. Don't know if the 18" head clearance is enough for me though.
Oryx Platform
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive tire

Reactions: D Robs and JSJP

Registered
Havent seen that before 馃檪. I could see it being painful in a hardtop. Looked at the web site, apparently they are only offering the "top end" (i.e. most expensive version) right now . My only valid question would be that when stowed will the frame swing forward when driving and hit you in the head馃槬?

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I got the impression they鈥檙e a new company, so they are probably testing the market with the one version. Looks like the very back is bolted in and the rest is hanging. Like to see a video.

Premium Member
2017 Willys 2 door
Looks cool, but how the heck do you get out of it with a hardtop on? You鈥檇 have to slide out of that small opening from the passenger door, you鈥檙e screwed if you have a beer gut lol. I found it uncomfortable to sleep in my 2 door, trying to scoot in and out from the passenger side was painful on my back especially trying to get up to pee in the middle of the night. and I had more headroom thanks to my slide out camper shell. and I think banged my head at least 10 times of using it. For me personally it wasn鈥檛 worth it, and I transitioned to a small 2 person tent that weighs around 2 pounds.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Sky Hood

Registered
There seems to be a never-ending stream of fad gadgetry for both 2 and 4-door Wranglers, but in the end there's not much that beats the low cost/size/weight and simple versatility of a decent tent.
I have a green cot blanket rolled up and tied to the back of my seat. Can't get any simpler.

Registered
Saw this on the internet and built it for my 2dr JL. Had to sleep in last summer near Durango due to pretty big lightning heavy thunderstorms. Tents under tall trees make me nervous....so in the Jeep we went. We did put some carpet squares on the plywood.
Table Vehicle Furniture Motor vehicle Automotive tire
Car Vehicle Window Tire Automotive tire
Car Vehicle Window Motor vehicle Hood

Premium Member
For a good sleep in colder weather. In the south that means below 50.
Tarpaulin Tent Tree Plant Shade

Reactions: paradox923

Registered
There seems to be a never-ending stream of fad gadgetry for both 2 and 4-door Wranglers, but in the end there's not much that beats the low cost/size/weight and simple versatility of a decent tent.
There is an obsession that I will never understand with trying to sleep in a Jeep when camping. There are so many tent options including 鈥淓Z鈥 pop ups. Going solo? Try a cot tent with a memory foam mattress.

Reactions: ray9898

Registered
There is an obsession that I will never understand with trying to sleep in a Jeep when camping. There are so many tent options including 鈥淓Z鈥 pop ups. Going solo? Try a cot tent with a memory foam mattress.
They don`t allow tents at Walmart. Being older now, I`m scared to sleep outside in the dark.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Don't know about an obsession. ;) I'm always looking for a simple & comfortable setup. I have a quick setup tent, but over 1/2 the time it rains or a heavy dew and it gets put away wet. I am usually wet from handling it. Also as mentioned tents don't work well when traveling and needing a quick nap while on the road. Hotels are close to $100 for a night and decent campsites are still in the $50 range. This caught my attention because the price is much lower than a teardrop trailer. It doesn't look like it would work for me though. Guess I'll sleep in the reclined seat. There are many other threads with members looking to build something similar, so I thought I'd share it. .

Reactions: D Robs

Registered
That makes sense in a way I never thought of before. I have a very binary thinking on road trips and overnight sleeping. It's either motel or camping. I have slept for maybe one or two hours in a car seat, but never thought about overnight sleeping in a seat. I have slept under the rear bumper of the Jeep with a sleeping bag and canvas cover. It did rain that night, but not too bad.

When I had a GMC 2500 PU with a shell, I would just go in the bed with the air mattress and sleeping bag. Took all of 30 seconds to have a bed to sleep on. With a Jeep, in my mind there just isn't much room inside to do much of anything.

Reactions: Dr Obbins

Premium Member
1 - 20 of 23 Posts