Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I got my Hidden Hitch receiver in the mail. I chose the long one for better spare tire clearance. Now I need a wiring harness. I'm leaning toward the 7-way round connector - expensive!
That's what I need if I'm going to tow a trailer with brakes, right? Am I shooting too high thinking trailer brakes? Maybe a 2 door shouldn't be towing a trailer big enough to need brakes in the first place.
Help me here. Should I just get the cheap 4-wire flat connector? I don't even clearly have a trailer in mind but my wife wants a small pop-up, sometime down the road. I'm not sure she realizes just how small it's going to be for a 2 door to handle.
For now, I just want to be prepared if the need to tow suddenly arises.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
2 doors are fine for towing. I weekly tow a 2200 lb boat and trailer, and have towed a flat trailer with a dodge diesel twin cab about 400 miles, neither had brakes on trailer. I can only guess, depending on the pop up, that it would absolutely be no problem.

·
Registered
996 Posts
I tow a my boat with gear that weighs around 4000lbs and 24' snowmobile trailer in the winter with 3 sleds inside. Trailer brakes are a must have, the trailer brakes are what keep you from being over powered from the weight. I use the electric trailer brakes to stop my jeep without my jeep brake.
And yes you'll need the 7 wire round wiring connector and a brake controller. I like the brake controllers with a delay on them so when you push your brake pedal the jeep brakes are delayed from working for 3-6 seconds and just the trailer brakes slow you down.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts