Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 512 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I was set on a two door but now I'm questioning myself again. The rear seats will be used rarely but the extra room is nice. The 4 door does seem to ride a bit better due to the wheel base. Some 4 doors look goofy if the tires are big enough but does that then affect the ride quality? I will have a soift top. Ugh, why can't I Decide????????? Others things I must have: 3.73 gears, A/C and manual transmission.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
4 doors will be more stable at speed and probably less likely to be upset by bumps or road irregularities when on the throttle. That said I still have a 2 door. Back seat has been removed pretty much the entire time since I bought it a year ago. Plenty of cargo room once you remove it.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good points. This will be a good weather weekend jeep but it'd be nice to fit four people in comfortably..but that'll be rare. Most of the time I'll have just the wife and me. Kids are grown.

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
I liked my 2-door but I prefer my 4-door. The 2-door is very agile with its short wheelbase and tight turning radius. The 4-door is way more practical and is more stable. The 2-door's lack of space was pretty annoying. The back seat sat in my spare room. I traded my 2-door in about 18 months.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
If you are even having this debate then you should get a 4 door.
^^^ this.

There isn't really any down side to the 4 door on the street, it's basically a mid sized SUV.

The 2 door has some advantage on some trail conditions, but the 4 door has advantage on day to day use, space, on road ride quality and even some trail conditions.

·
Registered
799 Posts
I've had both. The 4 door works for family, and the 2 door is great for couples and tight u-turns. I enjoy compact car parking in garages with my 2 door, but with all the "small" SUVs that park there too (not that they should), the 4 door is still a pretty short vehicle compared to most SUVs out there. Good luck.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Just leave the forum, go to the dealership and spend at least 30 minutes in each(2door and 4door).

Think of what you do on a weekly basis, what do you haul (kids, adults, groceries, tools, camp stuff, whatever), how much and how often. Make your decision on that. The rest can be figured out.

I went from a ram 1500 to a 2door and only had one time in 6 months that I could not accomplish something that I could have done with my truck. I love my 2door, but have no problem with 4door. I personally didn't need the extra room, yes it would be nice, but I like that a 2door is a Jeep.

Again, not that a 4door isn't a great off-road capable convertible, just that a 4door has an odd profile for me to call it a Jeep.

Just like I like the Cherokee Trailhawk and would love to own one, but I feel the hood emblem should not be Jeep.

All that aside, if you feel you would need a 4door and would benefit enough from it, then you should get the 4door. Better to have the room and not need it than need it and not have it.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I'm married with no kids, two door all the way! If your putting folks in the rear seats more than 15% of the time, I could understand the consternation. In my very humble opinion the 2 door is a better looking vehicle (ESPECIALLY WITH THE TOP OFF.) The real determining factors should be what looks better to you personally and how often will the rear seats be filled. YMMV.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I LOVE the look and size of the 2 door however we got a 4 door. Why...

...Gotta be able to fit a case of wine in the back! 2 door doesn't cut it. :drinks:

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
I own both. The wife drives the 4 door and I drive the 2 door. I don't let her drive the 2 door because she likes it a bit too much. I have no such affections for the 4 door, but I owned a CJ5 for years.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I drive a 4 door and love it.. Just me and occasionally my gf. Still need all the space lol but according to some my soccer mom suv that says jeep and wrangler isn't one so there's that. Just go test drive them both and really consider what and who you'll be driving around.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Just picked up a 2-door, wish I could sleep comfortably in the back and fit a surfboard a little easier. U-turns are a snap. 4-Door would be great, but sometimes you just gotta make practicality crawl into the back seat

·
Registered
225 Posts
I thought I was set on a two door but now I'm questioning myself again. The rear seats will be used rarely but the extra room is nice. The 4 door does seem to ride a bit better due to the wheel base. Some 4 doors look goofy if the tires are big enough but does that then affect the ride quality? I will have a soift top. Ugh, why can't I Decide????????? Others things I must have: 3.73 gears, A/C and manual transmission.
I have a family now so the 2 door was never an option. I had an FJ40 years ago so I'm very familiar with the size limitations of the 2 door. Personally, I think the dimensions of the 4 door are damn near perfect. I can't believe it took Jeep so long to introduce them. I wanted one the minute I saw one, but didn't take the plunge until last year. As others have said, even the 4-door isn't a big vehicle. I sold my MB E55 for my Wrangler....the Wrangler is actually shorter than my car was.

All Wranglers are inherently cool vehicles, but I'd be willing to bet there are more 2-door owners who wish they had a bit more space sometimes than there are 4-door owners wishing their vehicle was smaller.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I think you should just look at what you are going to do with it and look at the above posts to help you make your decision.
Above was stated that on the street there is no disadvantage to the 4 door so if that is your plan then 4 door it is.
If you planning on going off-roading then your decision get tougher as the 2 door does have some advantages in the trails.
I've been wheeling in my stock 2 door with other stock 4 doors and they went everywhere I went with only a few high sides on some climbs and a bit more close calls avoiding trees going around tight corners, but other than that no problem. And there were some obstacles that the longer wheelbase helped out with.

so if you don't plan on off-roading then it's a no-brainer. I think your toughest obstacle will be finding a manual trans unless you are ordering one.

1 - 20 of 512 Posts