Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, so I've got a 1997 sport 4.0 and was able to dedicate some time to maintenance today, change the oil and whatnot, and I ran into a couple of things.

My 3rd brake light does not work. Replaced the bulb and spent a bunch of time on teh Google trying to figure it out, and it looks like I'm missing a contact? I'm guessing the po pulled them when he bed-lined it, can anybody point me in the right direction to replace it please?

here's a snap of what I mean:
3rd brakelight contact.jpg

item 2, under the hood there's a random plug simply not connected to anything and I'm wondering what should be plugged in to it:
underhood connect.jpg

Thanks for helping out a newbie

-J

·
Knows a couple things...
49,399 Posts
Wire brush or sand the oxidation off the four aluminum button contacts you'll see next to the tail gate hinges after you fully open the tail gate. They get oxidized which can prevent the tail light from working.

Edit: I just looked at the photo more closely and you're right, you've got a missing contact. Those four contacts are for the 3rd brake light.

That connector is for the underhood light that comes on fully equipped TJs.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wire brush or sand the oxidation off the four aluminum button contacts you'll see next to the tail gate hinges after you fully open the tail gate. They get oxidized which can prevent the tail light from working.

Edit: I just looked at the photo more closely and you're right, you've got a missing contact. Those four contacts are for the 3rd brake light.

That connector is for the underhood light that comes on fully equipped TJs.
Thanks for the quick help, Jerry! more google searches; not worried about the underhood light, it seems people just end up disconnecting them anyway.

those contacts however, I've found some diagrams/part numbers on the other (not as good) forum and this ebay link:

Jeep Wrangler TJ Third Brake Light Contacts 97-06 YJ | eBay

Would these be what I'm looking for? Do you know of a site to order them new instead?

·
Knows a couple things...
49,399 Posts
Those eBay contacts are the right kind, I'd go for them to get it working. Not sure where else to order them except from the dealer who can probably still get them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts