Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I'm new to this so bare with me. I'm hoping to get the answer or help I need. I just put a 4 inch skyjacker lift on my 04 jeep wrangler with 35 inch tires, well I need a little more clearance for my tire's due to having approx. 2 inch's of clearance behind tire and fender. How hard is a 2 inch body lift to put on and how much modifications do you have to do as for linkage etc. Any help would be great.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
You need to center your wheels at full up travel and properly install bump stops.

A 2 inch BL, just say no.

J

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know I may sound dumb but believe me I'm attempting to learn something from more experienced people. When you say I need to center my wheels how do you do that? As for bump stops I was told by a local shop not to worry about the bump stops unless I plan on jumping my jeep. Which I'll be honest the main thing my jeep see's is mud on the hunting lease and area's we ride, I tell you this due to wanting your opinion if I hit a rut or anything such as a deep washout in your opinion its fare to say I best put bump stops back on?

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
You need bump stops--period.

To center the wheels you need to remove the springs and cycle the suspension to check for interference and then adjust your control arms to position and center the axles and the bump stops keep the tires from running into the fenders/flares. Your track bars should be adjusted to center the axles left and right.

I do not know if the Skyjacker lift allows for all this, it is a low end lift so you may need some immediate upgrades. Lifting a Jeep is not as easy as slapping big tires on it. You would probably have better luck, not what you want to hear, if you went down to 33 inch tires.

Not an expert here either, just learned as I went.

J

·
Knows a couple things...
49,417 Posts
X2 on the above advice, and go with no body lift any taller than 1" to 1.25". Taller body lifts than that just give serious problems to overcome. 1-1.25" body lifts don't give any serious problems.

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
You need bump stops--period.

To center the wheels you need to remove the springs and cycle the suspension to check for interference and then adjust your control arms to position and center the axles and the bump stops keep the tires from running into the fenders/flares. Your track bars should be adjusted to center the axles left and right.

I do not know if the Skyjacker lift allows for all this, it is a low end lift so you may need some immediate upgrades. Lifting a Jeep is not as easy as slapping big tires on it. You would probably have better luck, not what you want to hear, if you went down to 33 inch tires.

Not an expert here either, just learned as I went.

J
X3....Sounds like we're too late for advice maybe, but you should have a D44 or Ford 8.8 rear axle to run 35's. A D35 isn't up to the challenge for very long. You should also have brake and steering upgrades, as well as adjustable control arms so you can center your axles. You would be smart to down size your tires until you can do the needed upgrades.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the advise, I know now to put my bump stops back on. The lift came with the spacers, but the bump stop itself basically fell apart when I removed them, does anyone have a suggestion on where to buy new ones? I've checked local parts store and of course they could not get any. I read on another post that it is possible to install bump stops with springs on which would be great to know. Also would it be wise to purchase a adjustable track bar, or will my stock one be ok?

·
Super Moderator
6,902 Posts
you can purchase them new on the web or find them at your local junk yard, should be a few XJ's in most any yard, they use the same jounce bumpers.

as for your track bar, the oem one will not do as it will have your axle off to the drivers side by ~1", which means your passenger tire will be hitting your swaybar/frame/control arm every time you turn. an adj track bar from metal cloak or currie is highly recommended

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Thanks for the advise, I know now to put my bump stops back on. The lift came with the spacers, but the bump stop itself basically fell apart when I removed them, does anyone have a suggestion on where to buy new ones? I've checked local parts store and of course they could not get any. I read on another post that it is possible to install bump stops with springs on which would be great to know. Also would it be wise to purchase a adjustable track bar, or will my stock one be ok?
When you lift a Jeep the stock OEM bump stops are no longer adequate. You need to determine the length of the bump stops by cycling the suspension and then install bump stops to prevent parts running into other parts (like wheels into fenders).

J

1 - 10 of 10 Posts