Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello jk owners, I was thinking of putting a 2 inch body lift on my '08 JKU. Do I have to extend the shifter linkage or steering shaft ect... Its an auto:redface:

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
I put a 1" on mine with no problems.. Just wondering why a 2"?

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well its not really my jk, as you can tell by my user name. its my step dads truck and he wants to do a 2 inch body and a 2.5 inch suspension lift. I told him to do 1inch lift, but its the same price for a 2 inch. the thing I'm concerned about is the steering shaft, will it be long enough?

·
Registered
6,202 Posts
I guess the question is why? JK's dont need body lifts to fit big tires. I'm running 37's on 3.5 inches of lift

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
its just to expensive, for the most part. its over $1000 for a 4inch lift that doesn't come with track bars. and that's not even with the cost of tires and rims. the most he wants to go is with 35s so some power is still there.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
its just to expensive, for the most part. its over $1000 for a 4inch lift that doesn't come with track bars. and that's not even with the cost of tires and rims. the most he wants to go is with 35s so some power is still there.
All you need to fit 35's is a leveling kit with flat fenders or a 2.5" lift. You don't need 4" of lift unless you wanna run something like 37's-40's

·
Registered
6,202 Posts

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Well for me here was several reasons to go with a 1" body lift. it in combo with my AEV 2.5 Dual Sport is perfect. Gives me the clearance I needed so I did not have to cut the pinch seam also got the grille off of the winch, and now my rock sliders do not hit the body when you come down hard on a rock. To each their own, I bought a quality body lift that has aluminum pucks rather than polyurethane. Just a note, with out after market bumpers IMO it will look like crap. The aftermarket bumpers hide the pinch seam a little better.

My combo.

You can see here. Where it make it easy to remove the grille.

·
Registered
849 Posts
To the OP. I would only do 1 inch body lift, if any at all. I have a 2.5 inch coil lift and 1 inch body lift on 37s. For my own use, it makes sense for me to run a 2.5inch suspension + 1 inch body lift instead of a 3.5 inch suspension lift.

Because im only at 2.5 inches, i don't need aftermarket drive shafts and other suspension components that a 3.5 may require. But, im still at 3.5 inches of lift altogether. To be honest, i did the body lift just to give the wheel wells more space, and the gap doesn't bother me. i don't think body lifts do anything for articulation.

But, part of me is thinking of going to a 3.5 inch set of coils:whistling:

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
To the OP. I would only do 1 inch body lift, if any at all. I have a 2.5 inch coil lift and 1 inch body lift on 37s. For my own use, it makes sense for me to run a 2.5inch suspension + 1 inch body lift instead of a 3.5 inch suspension lift.

Because im only at 2.5 inches, i don't need aftermarket drive shafts and other suspension components that a 3.5 may require. But, im still at 3.5 inches of lift altogether. To be honest, i did the body lift just to give the wheel wells more space, and the gap doesn't bother me. i don't think body lifts do anything for articulation.

But, part of me is thinking of going to a 3.5 inch set of coils:whistling:
+1 those metal cloak 3.5 coils have been calling my name.. Got some cash burning a whole in my pocket..

·
Registered
709 Posts
I had a 2" BL on my 08 and it came with the steering shaft part. I had no linkage issues. I think it was a PA BL that I paid $100 for.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Sure go ahead and do a 2" bl. Ill laugh as I drive buy wondering why someone would do that instead of a proper 2" suspention lift.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Sure go ahead and do a 2" bl. Ill laugh as I drive buy wondering why someone would do that instead of a proper 2" suspention lift.
Money, plain and simple. :punk:

In my case on my 08, I already had a 2.5" suspension on my 08 JKU. I had some 36" Iroks sitting under my CJ that were begging to be under the JK so on they went. Even with cut fenders there wasn't enough clearance and I needed to get some quick. Didn't have the over $1200 for the suspension I really wanted so to get the clearance I needed I spent $100 for a 2" BL. I got my 4" of lift needed for the 36s and was still gtg when I went to 37s. My last 2 trips to Moab were with that set up and it worked well for me.

Here is something else to consider, and this goes for both my CJ and JKU. I already had my suspension set up and working well and come to think about it, both vehicles were performing well with the suspensions I had set up in each, but ended up jumping up in tire size, requiring either reworking the susp or doing a BL. When I went to the 36s in the CJ, I had the same problem and just put on a 1" BL instead of redoing a well working suspension.

That being said, I will always say suspension lift first, especially on a vehicle that will see action. For most JKs we see on the road though with every aftermarket add on, a BL would do just fine for the majority of them as they really don't see the dirt at all. That goes for all makes of off roaders. Way too many mall crawlers and wanna be posers running around IMHO! You see a ton of it on the net as well. People fill up their sig line with all kinds of mods and then post pics of driving thru a puddle with other poser pics trying to impress others when it is truly a charade. Damn posers. Sorry, rant off.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I guess you didn't read the whole tread. He wants to do a suspension lift and a body lift. I can spend $555.00 on a 2 inch body lift and 2.5 inch suspension lift. and get a about 4 1/2 inches. At that I would be spending about half then getting the full 4 inches. I doubt we will do any rock crawling and off-roading. the most off-roading will probly be done in the pine barrens. On my YJ I have 3 inch body lift and 2.5 inch suspension lift, and I think it looks dame near good. on 35s

·
Registered
849 Posts
^ To answer your question . Jeep | JEEP | 992 | - There are instructions in this site.

And a video this dude did. jeep tv installing 2 inch body spacers on a jeep jk - YouTube

I know you just asked a direct question and got everyone's opinion on a body lift which is was you weren't looking for

Even if I may not agree with your upgrade, that's no reason for me not to try and help out. But, keep in mind a lot of guys are giving you their opinions so you don't go and do something twice after not liking the look of it. I think there are a lot of times where folks don't take the advice of others and wind up kickin themselves in the end for not doing things the correct way the first time. This has happened to me many times with my upgrades.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts