Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, i have done extensive searching on drive line angles and sye's and still am not sure exactly what will be needed to get rid of my driveline vibrations. I put on a BDS 2 inch lift (3 inch front coils due to weight of bumper/winch) and initially got some bad vibes, not unexpected.

However, I have since dropped my t case an inch and the vibrations persist. I hate the t case drop, seems to defy the point of the lift! My question is this:
If I get a SYE, will I need to modify the track bar bracket and shock mounts with a short lift like the BDS 2 inch? I understand that the angled track bar bracket is for 4 inch lift angles.

Anything else that I would need? Seems like a ton of work for a simple 2 inch lift..

-Thanks

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
I would be looking for another source of vibrations with only a 2" lift...especially if you still have them with a t-case drop. unbolt your front drive shaft at the axle end, tie it up out of the way and go for a ride. If vibes go away, you know it's in the front, if they are still there, it's in the back. Check your u-joints. Do you feel these vibes in the steering or in your seat?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The rear U-joints are fresh, forgot to mention that. I will pull the front shaft and go for a spin to rule that out. Should I remove the t case drop before doing so? Not sure if that can cause vibes due to pinion mis-alignment.

·
Administrator
12,622 Posts
post a pick of the rear drive shaft installed, so we can see the relation ship between the t-case and diff...

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
The rear U-joints are fresh, forgot to mention that. I will pull the front shaft and go for a spin to rule that out. Should I remove the t case drop before doing so? Not sure if that can cause vibes due to pinion mis-alignment.
Your rear pinion angle should be the same as your transfer case angle with a stock drive shaft, but you probably have no way to adjust your pinion angle anyway. As 4Jeepn suggested, post up a pic.

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
Where is all that grease on the front yoke coming from? Are you sure your u-joints are seated and installed right? Remove the front shaft and drive it. If you still have the vibes after that, reinstall the front shaft and remove the rear shaft and carefully check the rear u-joints. You can drive it in 4 hi without the rear shaft and see if the vibes go away also. Your pinion angle looks like it's fine and you shouldn't need the tc drop with a 2" lift.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I put a lot of fresh grease in the u joints when I replaced them, im guessing its finding its way out somehow. Gonna go pull the rear shaft now and report back.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Pulled the rear shaft and went for a drive, no vibes. Rear shaft U joints are solid as can be, zero play. I had no vibes before the lift also so Im guessing the pinion angle is def to blame. Like they say, all jeeps are different. Im surprised I still have this problem with the t case drop however.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update:
After I put the rear shaft back on the vibes are highly reduced or gone (stuff is always shaking on TJ's so its hard to tell). Weird as I did not have them prior to installing the lift.. Jeeps are strange. I guess now I will get rid of the t case drop and see what happens. If I get vibes ill get a SYE and UCF skid plate, mine is beat to hell from meeting many Massachusetts rocks anyway.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I thought of that but then why would it only become an issue after the lift install? it was smooth as glass before.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts