Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have a 2012 jeep wrangler with 33" tires and I just ordered a 2" lift kit. Link for the lift kit is below. Its just a simple BB. Any suggestions on this lift or advise? Any thing to look out for? I installed a lift on my 98 jeep wrangler about 10 years ago but im sure things have changed on these. Any help is appreciated. From what I hear these are fairly simple. Will I need an alignment once im done?

Prothane 1-1708-BL Black 2" Lift Coil Spring Isolator Kit with Extended Bump Stops for Jeep JK : Amazon.com : Automotive

Thank you.
Steve

·
Super Moderator
53,785 Posts
Check YouTube. Teraflex have a great install video.

Most important step.
- loosen all control arm and TB bolts. You are not going to torque until the tires are back on or jack stands under the axle.
You want the weight of the jeep on the axles. Shake around to free up all the bushings. Torque to spec.
- all CA's 125 ft lbs except front uppers 75 ft lbs.
- TB bolts 125 ft lbs.

Take your time It's pretty easy.
You may have to adjust the drag link which centers the steering wheel. Alignment is pretty easy but never a bad idea to have it professionally done.

You are going to want extended swaybar links. At least 2" in the rear. The rears are longer and can be used on the front.

What about shocks?

Ken

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are the swaybar extensions absolutely necessary to put the lift on? I didnt order them and the lift will be here today. I plan on installing them tomorrow. Also I was planning on using stock shocks on it. I dont take the jeep off road as its so new. Its really just a daily driver I just like the look of it raised a bit. Will everything be on if I only install the spacers this weekend? I could always throw the extensions on later if they need it.
Thanks!

·
Registered
224 Posts
Did you use $3.99 overnight??? I'd try and get in contact with the company or search the forums for someone that has that exact kit. Better to be safe than sorry with a component like that.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep, Did overnight shipping for $3.99 extra. I tried searching forum and couldnt find much. All I have really read is that if its only 2" you shouldnt have to do anything extra. Maybe an alignment but thata about it.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Stevoman88 said:
Yep, Did overnight shipping for $3.99 extra. I tried searching forum and couldnt find much. All I have really read is that if its only 2" you shouldnt have to do anything extra. Maybe an alignment but thata about it.
I am under the impression that you would need longer sway bar links as well as shock extensions or longer shocks

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
I am under the impression that you would need longer sway bar links as well as shock extensions or longer shocks
For a BB, shocks aren't a necessity. But you'll need the sway bar links...for something like a leveling kit or 2" BB, you should at least get a pair for the rear, and move the longer stock rear links up front.

·
Registered
26,921 Posts
Be advised your axles will no longer be centered.

·
Registered
26,921 Posts
They will most likely be off. Mine was off 5/16" in front from a 2" space lift. rear was off too. Most folks wouldn't notice, but I am OCD about atuff like that thanks to kjeeper10. :D

·
Registered
26,921 Posts
:rofl:

I stand corrected.

Still, it's not the norm...
I believe it is the norm, but most folks don't care or don't know it.
If memory serves me correctly, when kjeeper10 installed his RK springs, his front axle was off like 1/2".

·
Super Moderator
53,785 Posts
SilverSport said:
If memory serves me correctly, when kjeeper10 installed his RK springs, his front axle was off like 1/2".
Still off... I actually moved it over a little bit more yesterday. I could never really find a good spot to measure.
Bought a cheap level yesterday- held it to the top side of my tire at 0 and measured to the spring perch. Sway bar links are straight and bumpstops seem to be centered better in the coil.
Re-centered the steering wheel again and went for a drive ..,.... No difference :facepalm:

Bummer lol

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts

Um. Nothing kjeeper has done to his rig is the norm. Behold:

Still off... I actually moved it over a little bit more yesterday. I could never really find a good spot to measure.
Bought a cheap level yesterday- held it to the top side of my tire at 0 and measured to the spring perch. Sway bar links are straight and bumpstops seem to be centered better in the coil.
Re-centered the steering wheel again and went for a drive ..,.... No difference :facepalm:

Bummer lol
Sorry man.

·
Registered
26,921 Posts

Um. Nothing kjeeper has done to his rig is the norm. Behold:

Sorry man.
Ok, don't believe me, but its true. Otherwise we wouldn't need adjustable trackbars or trackbar brackets. Someday you will see the light. :flowers:

PS: kjeeper10 is the "norm", its the rest of the world that's screwed up. :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts