Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where are you guys getting these bolts in black? And what size are they?

Secondly, sounds like a stupid question, but the chrome on the mirror, is it removable?? Looks like it just pops over existing black frame. I hate Chrome and want it off. I'm hoping this just pops off. Didn't want to mess with it and break it though til I got confirmation.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pulling them out is the issue. I don't want to pop the door panels to unplug the power mirror. I have no clue when it comes to jeeps, first timer, just got it the other day.
is there an easy way to unplug the power mirror??

·
Registered
341 Posts
Slow way but it may be the best way. Take out one, paint it and let it dry then put it back and do the next one. Days yes but no issue with getting them out and then having an issue lining everything up again.

If you paint real good with a brush there is black touchup paint you could paint in place. Taping and spray painting in place is not likely to work.

No info on mirror.

·
Registered
218 Posts
On the bolts, if they are not an easily acquired Mopar part, best to probably take to hardware store and measure it. Just make sure that any replacements are of proper grade and to hold up for the foreseeable future. Stainless steel would be nice, but a little more expensive. Shouldn't have rust issues there.

Be very careful taking them out. I got curious and did some reading. Looks like they strip very easily! I am seeing a lot of "Wrangler torx bolts" coming up on Ebay, different 4X4 supply sites, etc... but nothing seems to match the windshield bracket area for a JK. If you live near a Fastenal, they will likely be your best bet in getting something that is same size, thread pattern, and upgrading to a harder metal so you don't have stripping issues. I have never taken mine out, but I would replace them one at a time.

Here is what I found on the mirror.
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/removing-chrome-mirror-covers-1041354.html

Keep us posted!

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Where are you guys getting these bolts in black? And what size are they?
Funny that your bolts are chrome. Looks like someone swapped them out on yours. Mine are black from the factory. You can try getting new ones at the dealer, hardware store, Fastenal, or perhaps you can try painting them black.

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
I would paint them in place. Use a small brush and tape it off if you have to, and take your time.

·
Registered
166 Posts
It's fairly easy to pop the chrome covers off. They're held on with some pretty durable/strong double sided tape on the backside of the mirror head. Careful prying will pop it off in one piece, although the first one will probably come off in a couple of pieces. I took mine off in a short time, and then cleaned up the leftover tape stickiness with some WD40. Just don't go ape with the prying, and use flexible putty knives in addition to the screwdriver. If you're patient and persistent, they'll come off.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I hope you got a good deal on that Jeep! It would have been sweet (and will be again) sans chrome, but someone had to go and mess it all up! At least you can be fairly confident it never got the snot beaten out of it off-roading!

·
Registered
664 Posts
Mine were black from factory, I'm sure you could order some.

·
Registered
203 Posts
It's fairly easy to pop the chrome covers off. They're held on with some pretty durable/strong double sided tape on the backside of the mirror head. Careful prying will pop it off in one piece, although the first one will probably come off in a couple of pieces. I took mine off in a short time, and then cleaned up the leftover tape stickiness with some WD40. Just don't go ape with the prying, and use flexible putty knives in addition to the screwdriver. If you're patient and persistent, they'll come off.
Using an hairdryer or a heat gun on low setting should help loosen the double sided tape.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts