Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

I have 2 questions :
1) I've only had my jeep a year. My windshield has been dinged 3 times. This time not repairable. Any suggestions to prevent this during every day driving?
2) Has anyone got ideas for a key hook ? my key chain has too many keys to just carry the fob. I'm constantly getting out of the car without my keys.
Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
23,435 Posts
Do you have JL or a JK? going by your user name I am guessing a JK. I have lost count of the broken windshields I have had on JK's. Fact of life.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Wranglers are known for constant cracked windshields due to the glass angle being more vertical. If you find a solution to prevent the windshield from getting hit, patent it and you'll make a fortune!

·
Premium Member
9,910 Posts
Hi there,

I have 2 questions :
1) I've only had my jeep a year. My windshield has been dinged 3 times. This time not repairable. Any suggestions to prevent this during every day driving?
2) Has anyone got ideas for a key hook ? my key chain has too many keys to just carry the fob. I'm constantly getting out of the car without my keys.
Thanks in advance.
My girlfriend bought a 2018 Grand Cherokee Laredo... she's had two windshield strikes this year and is now in need of a new glass. Her windshield does not sit vertical like a Wrangler. She drives the freeway 38 miles each way to and from work. She gets pelted by debris daily depending on traffic conditions.

I don't drive the freeway often.... in my JKUR 10A, I was able to avoid rock strikes for six years until a major city I drive through every day decided to stop maintaining their roads. Driving over potholes and cracks with loose asphalt gets kicked up even by the smallest vehicle. Difficult to avoid if you only have one option to get to your destination.

The two suggestions I have; 1) avoid driving behind large trucks when you're on the freeway. 2) when you're not on the freeway, take city streets that are well maintained.

They keys issue?... You're not alone. We both have the same problem forgetting, misplacing and losing keys. I keep my company badge around my neck on a lanyard so I don't forget, misplace or leave it behind. My Jeep fob and house key are on a key ring. I leave keys I don't use daily in the house. But she has push button start, so her house key and other keys she has are on a lanyard -- sometimes the house key gets separated (don't know how)... her Jeep fob stays loose in the wild. lol...

I hope that helps...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
https://www.amazon.com/Nite-Ize-Stainless-Carabiner-Separately/dp/B01CGW32AE/ref=sr_1_28?crid=6PA99H0HPNHJ&keywords=nite+ize&qid=1577715997&sprefix=nite+,aps,206&sr=8-28

I've got this. The big part clips to the o-ring on my key fob. Comes off easy and the little locking things keep it secure. You can clips 5 keys on it then.
I have something like that. I meant a place to hang them while you drive. I don't want to have to dig them out of my purse every time I get out of the car. I would love it if there was some kind of hook I could buy that I could put near where they keys should go. I have so many keys , I don't separate them because I will forget something or bring the wrong ones or lose them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My girlfriend bought a 2018 Grand Cherokee Laredo... she's had two windshield strikes this year and is now in need of a new glass. Her windshield does not sit vertical like a Wrangler. She drives the freeway 38 miles each way to and from work. She gets pelted by debris daily depending on traffic conditions.

I don't drive the freeway often.... in my JKUR 10A, I was able to avoid rock strikes for six years until a major city I drive through every day decided to stop maintaining their roads. Driving over potholes and cracks with loose asphalt gets kicked up even by the smallest vehicle. Difficult to avoid if you only have one option to get to your destination.

The two suggestions I have; 1) avoid driving behind large trucks when you're on the freeway. 2) when you're not on the freeway, take city streets that are well maintained.

They keys issue?... You're not alone. We both have the same problem forgetting, misplacing and losing keys. I keep my company badge around my neck on a lanyard so I don't forget, misplace or leave it behind. My Jeep fob and house key are on a key ring. I leave keys I don't use daily in the house. But she has push button start, so her house key and other keys she has are on a lanyard -- sometimes the house key gets separated (don't know how)... her Jeep fob stays loose in the wild. lol...

I hope that helps...

I drive on major highways - that's usually where it happens and by smaller vehicles. My last jeep never had this problem. It's happened to my mustang as well. Are they making windshields differently these days? I've never had this much problem with glass in my life! Does anyone think a bug shield will help?

·
Premium Member
9,910 Posts
I drive on major highways - that's usually where it happens and by smaller vehicles. My last jeep never had this problem. It's happened to my mustang as well. Are they making windshields differently these days? I've never had this much problem with glass in my life! Does anyone think a bug shield will help?
I think there's been a spec change in the glass over the years...

Not sure a bug shield would help. There is protective film that can be affixed to the windshield.. don't know much about it or how well it works against rock strikes.

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
Gorilla glass made by Corning is tougher but more expensive then regular PPG glass ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
225 Posts
I had a guy who came to my place and replaced the glass, all in for $275 CDN. Had the acoustic glass plastic film but not the Jeep icon in the bottom right corner. At that price I find I’m not gonna stress if it happens again later or not.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I had a guy who came to my place and replaced the glass, all in for $275 CDN. Had the acoustic glass plastic film but not the Jeep icon in the bottom right corner. At that price I find I’m not gonna stress if it happens again later or not.

I've been quoted over $500 from several places!

·
Registered
225 Posts
Hey JK4955,

I’m up in Canada, but you should be able to get it for less than that. The chain auto glass stores charge more plus they sell up saying the OEM glass with the tiny Jeep logo on the bottom right is the Acoustic glass. I’ve learned independent shops will sell you that one and install for less, but if you buy the aftermarket glass, without the Jeep logo, you save over $100 more, AND they are ALL still Acoustic glass!
I found my guy on a site up here similar to Craigslist. I’m happy with my install and the price. In your neck of the woods I’d try to find a similar independent installer. My friend had his JK front glass installed for $150 in Florida.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey JK4955,

I’m up in Canada, but you should be able to get it for less than that. The chain auto glass stores charge more plus they sell up saying the OEM glass with the tiny Jeep logo on the bottom right is the Acoustic glass. I’ve learned independent shops will sell you that one and install for less, but if you buy the aftermarket glass, without the Jeep logo, you save over $100 more, AND they are ALL still Acoustic glass!
I found my guy on a site up here similar to Craigslist. I’m happy with my install and the price. In your neck of the woods I’d try to find a similar independent installer. My friend had his JK front glass installed for $150 in Florida.

wow, might be cheaper to drive to florida :p

1 - 16 of 16 Posts