Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This seems remarkably cheap. It costs about what I paid for a body lift for my S-10. Is it worth buying? I won't be doing any rock-crawling, mudding and trails only.

Since all of the stock suspension components will be re-used, but with spacers, will this mean that my road handling will remain unchanged?

Edit, I guess I'm looking at the 2.5" lift. This one:
http://www.roughcountry.com/jeep_jk_2.php

Charles.

·
Registered
176 Posts
The only thing that is of good quality would be their spacers. People say their springs sag. Their shocks are rough. You get what you pay for really.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The only thing I really dislike is that the front spacer is taller than the rear. I don't WANT my Wrangler leveled. I like the rear being a little higher than the front.

Charles.

·
Registered
6 Posts
This is the lift I have on my jeep currently and I haven't had any problems with it. It hasn't changed my handling enough for me to notice and it's super easy to install. I did it myself in just a few hours (no previous lift experience as I'm only 18)

·
Registered
50 Posts
The only thing that is of good quality would be their spacers. People say their springs sag. Their shocks are rough. You get what you pay for really.
Have you looked at the Rancho 2" kit? It's about $450, and includes 4 of their exceptional RS9000XL shocks, front springs, and rear spacers (I'd really like the kit more if it had rear springs instead of spacers). Full disclosure: I don't have the kit, am just shopping.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No. The whole point is that I want my ride to be exactly like stock. I don't want a bouncy and rough ride. Buddy had a TJ with a lift kit and the ride was absolutely terrible.

Charles.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I just put this lift on my 07 JKU. Took me 10 hours, but it was my first time ever and I was by myself. I had some trial and error. It doesn't effect the ride at all. You will have to adjust the drag link. It's a pain still haven't for mine just right. My traction control light and ESP/bas light stay on becouse of it. Taking it for an alignment Monday and gonna let them deal with it. The kit is well worth the money.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
How do you adjust the drag link? The instructions say nothing. Nor has anyone explained WHY you have to adjust the drag link.

Charles.

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
No. The whole point is that I want my ride to be exactly like stock. I don't want a bouncy and rough ride. Buddy had a TJ with a lift kit and the ride was absolutely terrible.

Charles.
A TJ is a different animal compared to a JK. I have a rancho 2 In sport lift as stated above. I think it rides better than stock. Shocks help more with the ride than your springs do.

·
Registered
159 Posts
For the drag link you have to center your wheels, losses two bolts and turn the turnbuckle until your steering wheel is straight. Then tighten the bolts and test drive. It seems pretty sensative, I have adjusted mine 3 times and its still a little off. There's a video on you tube

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Still not getting why a lift affects the steering at all. Or why they would put sensors that track that shit. This is a Jeep, I don't need or want all that computer control.

Charles.

·
Super Moderator
53,784 Posts
Still not getting why a lift affects the steering at all. Or why they would put sensors that track that shit. This is a Jeep, I don't need or want all that computer control.

Charles.
Take a look under the front of your jeep. This has nothing to do with computers. Solid axle with a track bar that centers the axle laterally and drag link that runs from the steering knuckle to Pitman arm/steering box.

As you lift the geometry changes. Front axle shifts to the driver side which also turns the steering-because of the drag link. All you are doing is lengthening the drag link to re-center the steering wheel. Higher lifts need a adjustable track bar to re-center the axle. 4" lifts more correction to keep the drag link and track bar flat and parallel with each other.

The control arms set the forward/reverse (from drivers seat) Tilt of the axle caster/pinion angle. and center the axle in the well (wheel base)

Lifting will tilt your axle forward affecting caster and drivability. Also pull the axle in affecting wheelbase. Adjustable control arms locate and tilt the axle back to where it supposed to be.
Most folks will add lowers to raise caster closer to stock and improve drivability.

The higher you go the more geometry is affected and correction becomes more important.

Ken

1 - 18 of 18 Posts