Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two issues crept up after my last off roading adventure. I didn't go anywhere too rough, just some trail riding after the rain. First problem, when I start the jeep, hot or cold, it runs up to 1500-1800 rpms and sits there for about 5-10 minutes before it finally goes back down to regular idle. I've gone over every vacuum line and intake seal with no luck. Second, I'm tearing up u-joints again. The rear driveshaft joint keeps falling apart and it's only on the ends that have the bolt down straps. They seem tight when I put them in, but they loosen up horribly whether I'm offroading or just daily driving. I'm stabbing at the obvious answer, but should replacing the straps fix this problem?

·
Registered
23 Posts
I had the sam problem with my bought a code reader and foung that the TPS was malfunctioning changed it and it's running great now

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Awesome, sounds reasonable. Wonder what made it go bad?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Pulled my tps. It was corroded inside really bad. Sprayed it out with carb cleaner and ran a good layer of dielectric grease over the contacts. Everything works great now. Thanks!

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
You could just try some loctight on the straps to see if the hang on longer. I can't imagine that they cost more than a couple of bucks though. Even with the new ones loctight would be a good idea.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Figured that one out too. The vibrations I was getting were due the the "nipples" on the yoke that are suppose to hold the u-joint center. They were bent out slightly and it allowed the u-joint to be off balanced. New straps and u-joint plus one big hammer and presto, no more vibrations. Rides like a new Jeep.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts