Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I think there are 2 types of jeep owners. Type 1, people that have a vehicle like this to enjoy the journey. They like the act of jeeping, go on the trail and want to be on the trail. Type 2, people that own this type of vehicle to get to a destination. These people get in the jeep and on the trail to arrive somewhere. Somewhere remote away from the pavement.

What are you? Journey or destination? My guess is there are more journey people than destination people.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Journey. It's not about where you're going, but how you get there! If you ask old people(sorry, I'm not old yet!) what they enjoyed the most about their life, it's what happened, not what they have now. Would you rather die on a pile of cash, or die surrounded by the memories you and friends made?

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am a type 2 person... I want my JK to take me to places that most can't get to. Hunting, fishing, hiking, camping etc... Mine doesn't go to the mall.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Destination.

I like the idea of knowing I can go anywhere and I'm not restricted to where my vehicle can get me. Even though I invested in a high-quality lift system, regear, and lockers (Sahara) I don't particularly enjoy mudding or crawling. Probably has something to do with the fact that I'm a backpacker first and Jeeper second. So far the people I've gone Jeeping with haven't really been into backpacking and don't seem interested in spending much time outside of their Jeep. They would probably fall under your first category.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I guess that's possible for some. I like to do all those things too but generally take my Sequoia because where I live it can take me to all of those places and carry all of the gear necessary to do it - and much more comfortably.

I would take the JK if i didn't need to carry much but that would only be because its more fun to drive in and not because of where i was headed. But that's just me i guess.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I can't afford two cars so my Jeep has to do everything.

Edit: I just thought about how funny it was that I can't afford two cars but I have a 15mpg Jeep with $10k+ in mods.

·
Registered
144 Posts
i also notice that half of these new owners aint been waiving lately.

wave jeep owners, keep the wave alive.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I can't afford two cars so my Jeep has to do everything.

Edit: I just thought about how funny it was that I can't afford two cars but I have a 15mpg Jeep with $10k+ in mods.
Why is that funny? A larger lot so you can park an additional vehicle costs way more then the vehicle does.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I guess I am the destination type...as far as I own a Jeep so that I can be prepared for adversity. I like to think my Jeep would make me able to still get to my destination in the case of natural disaster, bad weather, etc. Then there is the fact I bought it primarily to be able to get to BLM lands where I can shoot in peace without range fees.

·
Registered
8,929 Posts

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
The last thread that tried to classify Jeep owners a week or tow ago went side ways in hurry. This one seems to be very harmonious ... for now. :)

·
Registered
151 Posts
Both. There are trips where the journey is the main point, and others where it is about the destination. The Jeep serves both purposes.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Both. There are trips where the journey is the main point, and others where it is about the destination. The Jeep serves both purposes.
That is what is great about the jeep. But most people, not all, do either want to get somewhere or want to do something.

The destination types, like me, tend to go around the hardest lines on the trail. Because it is not the point of it. I want to arrive at my destination, turn off the jeep and wander some more.

The journey types spend time on the trail to figure things out and look for cool lines and obstacles to try. They scout around and check out other jeeps and cant wait to keep going.

·
Super Moderator
10,618 Posts
i also notice that half of these new owners aint been waiving lately.

wave jeep owners, keep the wave alive.
I am finding that increasingly CJ, YJ, TJ,...not just JK drivers, stopped waving.

Everyone looks too self-absorbed these days to notice a fellow Jeeper coming by.

I am about to stop doing too, not because I don't notice other Jeeps, but because they look straight ahead and don't respond.

Aldo

·
Super Moderator
10,618 Posts
Regarding the types of Jeep drivers, I've noticed there two kinds of off-roaders, too:

1. The type that seeks a highly technical spot and can spend all day crossing an extremely difficult 3-mile section.

2. The type that wants to cover a good distance to be able to see places and spots no one else can see from a regular car.

I like doing Type 1 on occasion, but Type 2 really gets my attention.

Aldo

·
Registered
144 Posts
Type 1. I am an enjoy the drive person in general. Even for my hubby who commutes. I told him to get a vehicle he enjoys driving. So he got a sports car and a BMW motorcycle. Me, I enjoy the toughness no-limits of a Jeep or truck. Yes, it is a bumpier ride, but I can literally go more places. Plus sports cars tend to get me tickets. :atomic:

I'm tiring of the token SUV drivers who can't even parallel park and have never used their 4 wheel drive.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts