Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
major push back when turning tight

I know this question has been covered several times but I still have a problem, I think ???
I have done a "complete" rebuild on the ft. end from hubs to ball joints to, well everything.
I did find a leak in one of the two air lines from the CAD and fixed it, all seems ok but when I turn sharp I get a LOT of push back as it tries to turn?
QUESTION: Will this happen in 2 wheel drive as well as 4 wheel drive and what could cause it?
Any good ideas please. :confused:

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
Your CAD is probably stuck engaged. Do you have a differential locker?

There are many possibilities though. Severe alignment issue, bad parts, etc.

Reactions: DREDnot

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Im going to take in in for a alignment tomorrow to see what happens.
I played around with the 4x4 selector this AM and it seems that the CAD is working ok. It will shift into 2 wheel and 4 wheel fine but it still is a bear in 4wheel H drive. No problem in 2 wheel though as it should be.

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
All the CAD does is engage and disengage the passenger side front axle shaft. It has nothing to do with the actual engagement of 4WD. That's all in the transfer case.

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
It's SUPPOSED to be hard to steer in 4wd on a hard surface... to the point that you are only supposed to use 4wd on low traction surfaces

·
Registered
15,710 Posts
Kinda the reason not to use part time 4WD on paved roads is the when you go around a corner the front and wheel back take different length paths so there has to be some slip somewhere

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Not sure if this will help, IIRC (3/4 way on a 16hr shift) lift the front end and turn one wheel, the other should turn in the opposite direction when free-wheeling.

·
Registered
15,710 Posts
With an open diff and driveshaft held stationary and no CAD

In that case rotation of one wheel must be accompanied by equal amount of opposite rotation
Of the wheel on the other side

However with cad disconnect or driveshaft allowed to rotate anything can happen with opposite wheel

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok so what I get from this info is that I probably do not have a problem other than Im not knowledgeable enough with this type of 4 wheel drive.
Im still learning and I learn something new every day.
I had an alignment done this AM and it drives a lot better now, in 2 wheel drive of course...
This project is still in the shake-down phase of build and every day I find something that needs adjustment or a fix.
My first jeep project build and it was very interesting an I have learned a lot about older jeeps.
Thanks for the comments.

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
Yep sounds like you're golden...

For future reference the only vehicles that are to be used in 4 wheel drive on roads without snow or mud will be labled awd, all time 4x4, or auto 4x4....

Normal 2H, 4H, N, 4L type should only ever be in 2H unless you NEED 4wd

1 - 11 of 11 Posts